WER vs Scotts dampener?

Got questions? We got answers....
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

WER vs Scotts dampener?

Post by bradf »

What to do, what to do? I definitely want a bolt on. So talk to me, tell me your opinions, even facts are welcome. CC? Ski? Inda? CM?
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Scotts ....hand down. More Pricey... but worth it. Adjustable on the fly....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Oh never mind. I was on the phone with Scotts, reading some of your guys posts about Scotts at the same time, one thing led to anutter, and I bought one.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

:supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I've ridden with both. The Scotts is absolutely superior. The WER has only a single damping adjustment..more or less. The Scotts has hi/lo speed circuits and sweep º adjustment, too. The WER does not damp the same left and right. Rebuilding it isn't the issue...some have had that done and it STILL is different left and right.

Bolt on? As opposed to weld you mean?

Get a Scotts. Get a WER mounting kit. Re-engineer it to sit on top of the fender. The closer to the point of impact, the better the control. Having the damper sitting way on top past the iso-mounts means a whole lot is going to be tweaked before the damper even sees the impact.

That a completely biased opinion.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Brad,

I think you made a wise choice from a "good folks do deal with" standpoint if nothing else. Check out my story in the review section if you haven't already.

Mine should get here today or tomorrow, but I don't know that I'll be able to get it installed before this weekend's ride. What kind of mount method/bar combo did you go with? I have a trailtech compooter and sort of stock bars, so I'm hoping the upside down mount will work.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

CM, as of now mine will be the standard mount. It was after I read yours and Inda's post, while on the phone with them, that I decided to get a Scotts. He mentioned the pooter console. He told me that I may have to grind some weld on the frame as KDX's welds are not as consistent as say a YZ or CRF. Also I will need to grind some on the speed-o bracket. I'll betcha I'll have it on the WER fender bracket in no time as CC stated. This last weekend's ride beat my wrists severely. I had tremendously sore hands and arm pump to the point where I was loosing my grip and my right thumb and wrist were shot. Every hard hit sent pain through my wrist. I took the handlebar into the gut a couple times. It was at this point where I knew the EMF was gunna wait and I was getting a dampener. So when you, CC, and Inda all said Scotts was the one, I was sold.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

cool. What swayed me into getting one was a 3 day riding trip out in western Colorado. It's more open there and we were honking along at 68 mph indicated on loose stuff and my bike was scaring the crap out of me. It was looking side to side about twice a second. I could have gone slower, but then my buddy on his 650 R would have felt all superior and stuff :lol: . I really need to find slower freinds. Last year I got deflected into a boulder at speed and broke ribs, so, I'm hoping the damper will prevent that or give me a better chance to correct before impact.

Hope yours goes on smooth,
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

With the WER I found it basically deflects the whole bike sideways rather than the bars. Not a good thing if your passing someone on the outside, hit a rock and get deflected into them... But thats probably my fault for not avoiding the rock in time. Overall very happy with the WER but havent tried a Scotts to compare with (although I don't doubt they are far superior for double the price they should be too :wink: )

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."