Maintenance and Bearing help?

Got questions? We got answers....
johnnymoto

Maintenance and Bearing help?

Post by johnnymoto »

:roll: Help, I need some intelligent and true opinions. With it being winter in the great white north for the next 8-10 months, I figured it was time to do some of the more serious maintenance for the upcoming riding season (you know the 30 or so days that we don't have snow). Brought the bike into the shop and put it on a stand to immediately realize the swinger and linkage bearings are in extremely bad condition. :shock: What the questions are:
1. What brand of bearings are recommended (OEM/All balls/Moose/ect)?
2. What kits are complete?
3. Are there any members that sell these bearings, I would like to support the members of this site.
4. Maintenance intervals, Grease / disassembly & Clean?
5. Brand of grease (waterproof)?
6. Are these bearings prone to early failure or was it just lack of maintenance.
Any responses would be greatly respected.
Can you guys be kinda easy on me, I bought the bike last summer and haven't really ridden it because of time at work and I am dam embarrassed. Thanks again.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Moose & All Balls = Same thing. Carvr would tell you they are crap. I let my Moose suspension bearings go +6 years. Some were good some were toast

Most kits you will need to order a swingarm kit as well as a suspension kit, shock bearing may be needed too

Some grease em couple times a year, I'd think once a year would be good

I'd say lack of maintenance
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
johnnymoto

Post by johnnymoto »

Thanks, I wll be making the order tue night or wed. Where to buy?
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

rocky mountain
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

My experience has been that twice a year service might be enough. More often would probably be better.

I say might be because I keep putting it off and find that at one year it is too late and they are all toast.

A lot depends on how much you ride and the conditions. We get a lot of rain here and end up with some sandy/muddy trails.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
SOARSKI
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by SOARSKI »

I have an 04. I suspect it has low miles as I'm just getting ready to replace the original rear tire. I'm currently tearing down the swing arm and the uni-link. This is my first time ever doing so. I found my bearings to be in excellent shape along with the sleeves. However I did find that two of the seals were questionable so I decided to replace those. I didn't note what part those two seals came off :mad:

I used belray grease as thats what many others have suggested here.

I plan to open it up half way through the riding season and decide for myself whether it needs greasing once or twice a year. I would think your maintenance schedule would depend on how often you ride and where and what you ride your bike through.