125 vs kdx

Got questions? We got answers....
pinitwot

125 vs kdx

Post by pinitwot »

i have an o1 kdx 220 and i have been looking into getting a either a kx 125 or a kx 250f and i was wondering how much slower will my kdx be than one of these bikes. like if i would race threw and open corn field would the kdx get smoked? well i no i a track i would but what about on trails like threw the woods?

thanks
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

Are you talking totally stock KDX or does it at least have a pipe on it?

A KDX 220 with the RB head and carb mod and a rev pipe will totally spank any 125 and it could probably keep up or even out run a 250f. However both of those bikes will have a better suspension for the track.

The modded KDX would make a very good all around bike that you could use as your daily trail ride and even use on the track (with suspension work unless you like to bottom out a lot). The gearing would be a little akward for the motocross track but you could certainly make it work.
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

:lol:

On a hill or tight woods maybe, but on level ground a kdx won't have a chance with a 125
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

true enough. My kid's YZ125 would flatten my 220 with those mods in a race. It's about 40 lbs lighter and makes more HP. Plus the MX gearing is more tailored for a drag race.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

They are great til you get on an incline

and if you weigh 270 lbs :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Well, I'm sure the 60 lbs I have over the kid has nothing to do with it. I don't know why I'm sure of that, but I am. :rolleyes:
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
pinitwot

Post by pinitwot »

uh well i got the fmf woods pipe and turbine core 2, air box lid gone and that it. and i dont 270lb :grin: more like 150
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I spanked a kid on a CR125 badly..... I don't think a 125 can touch a kdx... ymmv.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jbowens2401

Post by jbowens2401 »

I think a 125 could smoke a stock kdx. After pipe and proper jetting, I'd put my money on the kdx with the right rider.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

BS 125 musta been a POS
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I agree with Inda. My 200 is 20 years old. I absolutely smoked an 08 yz125. Spanked it.
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

125 smoke a KDX ??? I dunt no abut tat
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

A newer 125 probably makes about the same (or maybe a little less) peak power as an RB modded KDX 220 but you need to wring it out where the 220 will make it's power over a much wider spread. The 125 needs it's close ratio gearbox to keep it on the pipe. The modded KDX has no trouble jumping the gap between each gear.

Besides, I'm pretty sure the 125 rider is gonna be way more tired at the end of a long trail ride than the KDX rider.
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Post by bcdonyo »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:I spanked a kid on a CR125 badly..... I don't think a 125 can touch a kdx... ymmv.
If all things being equal a 200 smokes a 220, then your modified 200 should be way faster than the OP's 220 with a pipe.

IMO, a stock late model MX 125 would smoke a stock 200 or 220.

stock MX 125 vs. stock 200/220, 125 wins easy.

stock MX 125 vs. modified 200 = probably 200.

stock MX 125 vs. Modified 220 = toss up.

A modified MX 125 or stock/modified 250f should spank pretty much all KDX's.

The real question is, does anyone buy a KDX for it's arm ripping power? It's a silly argument kinda like will my old mustang beat a new corvette. Just say'n. :mrgreen:
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by zomby woof »

The real question is, does anyone buy a KDX for it's arm ripping power?
I think I read 37 hp for the 220, is that correct?
My RM125 makes 41 stock, according to Suzuki.
Both my bikes are piped, and the 125 will destroy the 220, power, and top speed wise, but the there is a reason I'll be racing the 220 next year, and not the 125.
It sure is a lot easier, and more fun to ride.
I love my RM, but the KDX is the bike I should have bought in the first place.
Ontario, Canada
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Here's the story...

I was riding at Land Between the Lakes a few years ago with Fuzzy. We were on the main return road and I was riding along and a CR125 goes ripping by.... I decided I would see if I could catch him.... I did and proceeded to absolutely smoke him. And it was not like he wasn't trying. I outweighed him by at least 50 lbs. He was shifting like crazy... I wasn't. I think that is what makes the difference. Don't know for sure but that's the way it went.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Here's the story...

I was riding at Land Between the Lakes a few years ago with Fuzzy. We were on the main return road and I was riding along and a CR125 goes ripping by.... I decided I would see if I could catch him.... I did and proceeded to absolutely smoke him. And it was not like he wasn't trying. I outweighed him by at least 50 lbs. He was shifting like crazy... I wasn't. I think that is what makes the difference. Don't know for sure but that's the way it went.
Yeah...Thats Right :supz: :supz: :supz: :supz: :cool:
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by zomby woof »

If you could choose a 125 to race against, the Honda would be a good choice.
Ontario, Canada
zz3gmc

Post by zz3gmc »

In 2000, I raced a 00 YZ125 in A 125 in enduros. I was racing CR250's and WR250 2 strokes prior to that and wanted to try a 125 out. In the tight Southern NJ enduros, tight woods and sand, I was just as fast on the 125 as I was on the 250. Some places it was easier to ride and some not so easy, pretty much a trade off. When the races went up to the rocks, PA,MD,NY etc. The 125 , for me, became a handicap. It was much more diffucult to ride. It didnt like 90 degree turns straight up a steep rocky climb. A 200, 220 or 250 would have worked much better for me there. I switched back to a 01 YZ250 at the end of the year. I did out drag a YZ400F with the 125 once. We were riding together at a NJ enduro when we both came out of a woods section together. It dumped us out onto a sandy 2 tracker, we both got on it, he was slightly ahead of me and I caught and passed him. I didnt walk pass him, more of a gradual pass. I must have been hooking up better! My 125 would top out at 71 mph according to my ICO odometer.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Dyno-wise they within a couple peak crank HP stock vs stock. KDX200 makes 10 more ft/lbs accross a huge range in comparison, and is geared to use it. Inda is right he cooked that 125. I only raced one one day (a CR), and could clean his clock handily up to about 'half track' and the 125 would start to catch up, but still lose. We had a good experiment going. Stock KDX w/ pipe only. CR had a pipe as well. Both jetted well by me. Rider weight the 125 had a 50lb advantage as well. In a 20-25mph roll-on the 125 would win every time, but in a true drag race the KDX was king. I've seen plenty a KDX take a huge holdshot on a MX track too....Of course only to get smoked quickly, but the granny first gets out of the hole faster than a tall first, period....Then in the midrange the KDX suffers from pulling a too-wide gear for a drag race, but that's not what it's for.

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/ ... 0%2098.htm

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/mot ... 59184.html
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project