KDX Power valve

Got questions? We got answers....
DemonicOmelette

KDX Power valve

Post by DemonicOmelette »

I've got a 1991 KDX 125 (which I know the americans on here might not have heard of...).

I've read that new power valve and reeds can make a big difference. Is this true? Can it be done without spending too much poppy? Is it a fairly straightforward job? My mechanical skills are growing, but so far have only worked on 4-stroke engines (mostly Monkeybike and my rusty old Citroen 2CV..). Never torn open a 2-stroke....

Any advice would be appreciated!

-eli
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

You're in for a treat! Tearing down the 2t will be a dream compared to any 4t. The power valves only need to be replaced if they are worn or broken. New reeds can indeed make a difference. You'll want to check the piston and cylinder and make sure all is in spec. Replace the piston if it is worn, put new rings in regardless.

I have heard of your kdx 125, I knew they existed, but I have not seen one. They are not very common in the US at all.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

power valve, I would do a top end just to check the situation there, for all you know they might need a good clean up, as for the reeds, it's very easy to replace, pull carb, remove reeds install new one. done
DemonicOmelette

Post by DemonicOmelette »

Ok, I will have a look in the top-end...

I'm still looking for some sort of workshop manual or something that doesn't cost 50 quid...

I wouldn't want to try taking the bugger apart otherwise!
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »