What do you carry on the trail?

Got questions? We got answers....
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

What do you carry on the trail?

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I started to reply to the "What extra parts do you keep on hand?" thread but I realized most of this stuff did not apply to extra parts

So here goes

What stuff do you bring along with you on the trail?

I carry a lot of crap!

21" Tube, Irons, Motion Pro Trail Buddy, Tow Strap, Pump, Patch Kit,First Aid kit (whistle, mirror, matches, fishing kit, emergency blanket) Headlamp, Knife, Water (for me and the bike) Candy Bar or Energy Bar, SPOT, .22 Pistol, Pen, Tire Guage, Anti Fog stuff, GMRS Radio, Wood Saw and Hand Pruner, Cell Phone, Camera, Bic Lighter, Wet Ones, Sparkplugs, Spare Master Link, Bailing wire, Zip Ties, Forceps, Tools, Assortment of jets and nuts and bolts, Hankerchief and a separate microfiber cloth for my glasses, Insect Repellent, Duck Tape, Electrical Tape...

I may add more as it comes to me...
Last edited by Mr. Wibbens on 11:42 am Jan 27 2010, edited 2 times in total.
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Dang that's a lot of stuff! On the other hand seems you guys are riding far out in the boonies while here we're never too far from truck or a road, I'd do the same if we had long better trail here.

Spark plug and wrench, spare master link, duck tape, zip ties, lighter, smokes, clean shirt/rag, small towing rope, flat/philips screwdrivers, CELL PHONE, lots of water.
We always ride in groups (more fun and safer in case of a get off/break down) so there's always someone with the other needed tools/rescue.
That's all I can think of for now.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I forgot duck tape, and electrical tape, wrapped around one of my wrenches

Carvr carries spare brake lever and perch and a clutch lever
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I ride with Wib and Carvr, so I don't carry anything! Ha! My mules!

Oh,

I do carry a radio so I can call them when I need 'em.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
NewMexico505

Re: What do you carry on the trail?

Post by NewMexico505 »

Are you serious? You actually carry a spare tube and tire irons? On the bike, not left in the truck?

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:I started to reply to the "What extra parts do you keep on hand?" thread but I realized most of this stuff did not apply to extra parts

So here goes

What stuff do you bring along with you on the trail?

I carry a lot of crap!

Tube, Irons, Motion Pro Trail Buddy, Tow Strap, Pump, Patch Kit,First Aid kit (whistle, mirror, matches, fishing kit, emergency blanket) Headlamp, Knife, Water (for me and the bike) Candy Bar or Energy Bar, SPOT, .22 Pistol, Pen, Tire Guage, Anti Fog stuff, GMRS Radio, Wood Saw and Hand Pruner, Cell Phone, Camera, Bic Lighter, Wet Ones, Sparkplugs, Spare Master Link, Bailing wire, Zip Ties, Forceps, Tools, Assortment of jets and nuts and bolts, Hankerchief and a separate microfiber cloth for my glasses...

I may add more as it comes to me...
KDX220rser

Post by KDX220rser »

Wish i would have had a tow rope this past weekend... My sisters honda broke down 7 miles into a 15 mile trail... Coil went out.... At least i got to ride super fast for 7 miles to the camp, and 7 miles back to her on the trail.. then i got to putt putt back to the camp towing her.... Tow rope will be on us at all time now!! Other than that, Fresh plug, water, a few tools, tape, useless map, phone (that may or may not get signal), and maybe a snack or two... thats about it...
09 KTM 250 XC-W
2005 KX-DX Hybrid
03 Ozark (under construction)
1978 Honda NC50 (under construction)
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
NewMexico505 wrote:Are you serious? You actually carry a spare tube and tire irons? On the bike, not left in the truck?
Does not do any good left in the truck. My last flat was 22 miles from the truck

A tube and irons fits in with my camelback, don't even know it is there
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
recurve
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by recurve »

Basically what Mr. Wibbens carries plus or minus. Tools, first aid, communications, food, water, etc. Yes, a tube and tire irons too. If the tube is beyond a patch I'm not walking out and I'm not leaving the bike just because of a tube. I put the tube in a fender bag.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

re;
wont know it until you take a unexpected spill and land on your back! Ooh

But you guys prob fall alot less than i do..

I've gotten a flat on the trail twice... I just kept on truckin.. road 32mile with a flat back... maybe thats why I needed a spear set of rims and tires...

I fall a lot, maybe not as much as Jerry though

Irons are pretty well protected

Last edited by Mr. Wibbens on 01:52 pm Jan 27 2010, edited 1 time in total.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
KDX220rser

Post by KDX220rser »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:>|<
A tube and irons fits in with my camelback, don't even know it is there
wont know it until you take a unexpected spill and land on your back! Ooh

But you guys prob fall alot less than i do..

I've gotten a flat on the trail twice... I just kept on truckin.. road 32mile with a flat back... maybe thats why I needed a spear set of rims and tires... :rolleyes:
09 KTM 250 XC-W
2005 KX-DX Hybrid
KDX220rser

Post by KDX220rser »

ha couldnt get my quote to work Mr. Wibbens.... ha had to take it down and start over... But yeah looks like that may protect ya from getting a Tire iron stuck in your back :shock:
09 KTM 250 XC-W
2005 KX-DX Hybrid
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I don't fall down.

I crash. Hard.

What's the difference? Falling is putting your foot down and tipping over.
Crashing is rag-dolling down a steep hill and using a tree with your head to slow down.

Oh, and Wib doesn't store his tube and irons in that pack. Before we leave the staging area, he swallows that tube and irons and washes it down with a stout. If needed on the trail, he just craps it out!! Now, that's a tough guy!! :supz:
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

When you heading up?
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

My tow rope

First Aid

Butt Wipe (wet ones) in mesh

Motion Pro Tool

Nuts, bolts and washers

Eye Glasses case, for times when I'm totally fogged up and can't see a fuggin thing

My new pump

Lastly a pic for Jerry, cuz I know he likes this kinda thing

((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

Holy cow Wibby...You musta taught MacGyver every thing he knows. :lol:
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:I don't fall down.

I crash. Hard.

What's the difference? Falling is putting your foot down and tipping over.
Crashing is rag-dolling down a steep hill and using a tree with your head to slow down.

Oh, and Wib doesn't store his tube and irons in that pack. Before we leave the staging area, he swallows that tube and irons and washes it down with a stout. If needed on the trail, he just craps it out!! Now, that's a tough guy!! :supz:
Oh I know you crash HARD!!

http://wibby.smugmug.com/gallery/470245 ... kkd3G-A-LB
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

My rule is if the motor didn't stall then it doesn't count as a crash. :mrgreen:
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
michkdx

Post by michkdx »

>|<>QBB<
Brian wrote:My rule is if the motor didn't stall then it doesn't count as a crash. :mrgreen:
Awsome! I'm going to use that!

I'm going riding and I'm bringing a back pack, spark plug wrench (w/ plug), zip ties, rope, phone, lighter/smokes, pliers, screw drivers, multi wrech tool, oil, 3 beers, GPS, and MP3 player. I leave a map in the jeep so the wife can come pick me up if needed. Getting some great ideas here like electrical tape and duct tape....going to add those.
1995 KDX200
1995 PW50 (3yr old son)
1997 CR80R (9yr old son)
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

3 beers??? Stirred, not shaken after ridin :lol:
And why 3? :partyman:
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I usually drink the 3 beers before I leave the staging area
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))