24%

Total votes: 118

bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Do you ride solo?

Post by bradf »

Do you ride solo in the back country?
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I've skiied solo in the backcountry but then I'm a better skiier than dirtbike rider. After seeing what can happen when Marty had his wreck this past weekend, I doubt I'll take that risk, ever again on snow or dirt.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Well I went solo again today. And it just reinforced my opinion that I need, NEED a dampener. Also, I found out that KDX may have U-Boat heritage as I made it through a sipi hole that was well over the front tire and 30 feet long with no way around. There were two YZ's on the other side, dead, flooded, very very quietly leaning against some trees. I see why you need buddies in the woods when yer riding a YZ.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
clutchcover
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by clutchcover »

Unfortunately, I would hardly get to ride in the back country if I didn't go out occasionally on my own. Too many bailers and parking lot poser riding buddies. Fastest riders on the planet don't need to venture over 30 yards from their trucks I guess. :roll: I always let someone know exactly where I'm going and when I'll be home. I don't really feel safe doing it, and find myself riding slower than I usually do, but it's probably not too smart of me. I never snow machine alone. Too many things can go wrong, and hypothermia isn't something I want to experience.
97 Kdx200
Summuda goodies.... But not quite enough.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It's just plain dangerous... It's easy to bounce off a tree or rock and break something... and to have to try to drag yourself out of the woods is not smart.

I am actually going riding by myself this weekend but it's only 60 acres and there will be plenty of others around. Would rather Fuzzy pack up and come down so we could ride at Taylorville...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
bronco95tgp

Post by bronco95tgp »

I worry a little to much about some of the back woods, pot growin, meth cookin, mountain men in these parts whose hunting/growing land I may be riding across or near!
its a '04 KDX 220 cadillac
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I would rather not, but some of my buds tend to get tired a little early for me, so I might go out for another ride while they're socializing at the trucks. Of course, I did this last season and broke some ribs and had to ride about 5 miles over very rough terrain. Realistically though, even if they were with me I would have ridden out. It is very dangerous though, and I could have been hurt a lot worse. When I do it now I go very slow and am just kind of "touring".
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
gwhII

Post by gwhII »

I don't have buddies that ride dirt so I do ride alone. I take it pretty easy to (hopefully) limit injuries. The places I do ride are known riding areas so if the worst were to happen, somebody'd hopefully find me. I do make sure that people know where I'm going. I have found a riding club with 30,000 acres that may just do the trick. :grin:

-G
'03 KDX200 -Mine
'03 CRF230 - Daughter's
'03 XR100R - Son's
'02 CBR600F4i - Street
'63 Seagrave 531B, '42 Seagrave Aerial
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

If you ever do ride alone, be sure it is in a regular riding area with the chance someone might stumble on your carcass. Also, let someone know when to expect you back AND leave a note in your vehicle who you are and which direction you headed out in.

Now, with all that said, I suggest you join a club. Most clubs that sponser enduros would LOVE to have you as a memeber. If you don't ride enduros, even better!! Then you are ripe for working a check point, doing sign-up, running a sweep at the end, etc. I'm in two clubs. They each have a day ride once a month and an overnight trip once a month. I pick and choose which rides I go on and there's always someone who can break away in the middle of the week if you just can't take the stupidity at work for even a day more.

To find a club, go to your district AMA website. Mine is http://www.ama-d36.org from there you can usually find a link to sponsoring clubs and their website addresses. Otherwise, look for the forum area and post a thread there. Some clubs are laid back and easy going about riding, others require attendance at all meetings and they are every week, as well as require entering at least 5 or more events a season.

Hope this helps keep someone safe and make it home after a day's ride. As they say where I work, "There's only one way you get to go home tonight alive, and that's if you do everything right today and don't make a mistake." I guess they figure working around voltages up to 230KV is dangerous or somptin :rolleyes:
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

While I never ever snowmachine alone I dirt bike by myself more than I like to admit maybe 60% of my riding. I tend to be more careful about what I drop into and where I go than if I have grown friends to ride with. When I ride with my boys I have to still limit my riding areas basis upon their abilities.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

I ride alone(most of the times) in the evenigs weeks days and I like to ride with buddies in the weekends...I like to ride alone in the backyads(more unobtrusive......!!.) I have a direct trail access from home.
A 15 miles woods single track after work is awesome(with a 10 lbs fanny pack!)...and a cell phone.

I feel safer in groups.but i can not wait to buddies to ride!
:grin: :eek:
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I guess my whole thing is to advance... being that is is my goal... I want to ride with someone to achieve that goal. Fuzzy pushes me to be a better rider every time we go out. We push each other..... I love it... makes it all worth it...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
dave04kdx
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by dave04kdx »

I ride alone quite a bit during the week after work. Hopefully nothing will ever happen while I am out. I actually enjoy the solitude after a long day at work. :lol:
At age 4 success is . . not peeing in your pants.
At age 12 success is . . having friends.
At age 16 success is having a drivers license.
At age 35 success is having money.
At age 50 success is . . having money.
At age 70 success is . . . having a drivers license.
At age 75 success is . having friends.
At age 80 success is . not peeing in your pants.
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Davekdx - you mentioned enjoying solitude when riding alone. I have to agree that while I enjoy company I also find solitude fits my needs at times. When I really feel good and the trail is good and its mid-week with no trail traffic it is nice not to have dust to fight, people to be concerned about and just focus on riding my bike. It is during these times though that I find myself turning up the wick on the bike. I do hope that they don't find my body stuck between some trees one day though.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Thhis weekend is the first time I've road solo. I'm mixed as to riding alone or with buddies. I guess they both have thier own attributes. If your alone and you get hurt theres only you to count on, but at the same time you don't have a slower rider slowing you down. On the other hand it's fun to have good riding buddies with you and pushing each other to get better and laugh at each other when you do something stupid and hopefuly don't get hurt much. I'd have to say no matter how hard I tried when alone, I just could'nt get up to normal speed throught the woods. I guess running with someone tends to make me ride faster. If I ran a race, I think if I was good enough to run second, I would'nt want to run first through most of the race until the end. I like to pressure my buddies riding behind them. They pressure me. So I guess I'like to ride with someone to have alittle competition.

Jon.
phantom6

Post by phantom6 »

solo is no fun,theres no-one to egg on through the trails.I have gone solo just a handful of times and I really don't like doing this nor would I suggest it,hell you might as well fly through the woods without your helmet either way something is going to happen,usually something not good. :blink: :rolleyes:
Its not mean if its not green!!!
Road Dawg
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Road Dawg »

I did it once.. I approached a mud hole. I went one way, the bike went the other and I landed on my left side and felt a pop.. Needless to say, it was all I could do to get the bike up and started and back to my cabin.. End result, One broken rib, One cracked and a bruised lung to go along with it all.

I am lucky I am not still laying in the woods ! I won't ride alone again.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

I ride alone alot, mostly just at the local "practice quarry" which is within walking distance of my house (albeit a long walk) so even if I break myself or the machine, I could hoof it home. Good thing KDX's never break though! :wink:
'00 KDX 220R
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I ride by myself all the time. It is very rare that I actually have the opportunity to ride with someone and, yes, I am a club member. Sometimes I might get lucky and a club member wants to ride my area. On rare occasions I can hook up and ride with someone I meet at my riding area. Rare but it is nice when I can.

It seems my problem is that I have no way to transport my bike and no one wants to come ride my area. I dualsported my KDX just so I could get to riding areas within 15-20 miles of my home. Unfortnately, most of the popular spots are way further than that.

I always ride fully protected, have cell phone, water, basic first aid, etc. when I do ride solo. I broke my right hand (third metatarsal), three ribs, and various scrapes and bruises while riding solo and had to ride it out. Was it fun? No, but what choice do I have? It is either ride alone or not ride at all or very seldom. The latter two are just not an option IMO.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
performancecycle

Post by performancecycle »

I work on offroad vehicles for a living and have a network of thirty miles worth of trails witch begin across the street from my shop. Naturally I ride just about every day, just not always the same vehicle. Although I am not a fan of atv's, I spend a lot of time in the woods test driving them, but much prefer to be on my kdx.