Some weirdness with new top end

Got questions? We got answers....
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Some weirdness with new top end

Post by Julien D »

So I got it all bolted up about the middle of last week. It didn't run worth a crap! Sputtering from the midrange up. I couldn't do much around here, too many neighbors. Got it over to my buddies yesterday to work on the jetting. I ended up going from 155/45 to 150/42 and it screams again, very smooth, and brings the front wheel up in 1st 2nd and 3rd.

The weird thing is I have to have the airscrew about 1/2 turn out. If I go any farther out with the air screw I get this nasty off-idle bog. However, If I install a larger pilot I get the midrange blubbering back. Same thing If I adjust the needle, dropping the needle gives me a bog, and raising it gives me back the sputter. Does that seem strange to anyone else?
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

Is this RB'd stuff?
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Nope, all stock.

'89 200
Boyesen reeds
airbox lid removed
DG pipe / stock silencer
BR8ES plug

The only thing I found weird was the airscrew setting. Perhaps something in the carb is not quite right, or as I really suspect, the 1173n needle profile is just stupid.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I been playing with JD's jetting chart a lot lately. Looks like CGK/DGK for me. I'm gonna swing by the shop tomorrow and see if my buddy will be ordering anything soon and can get me the CGK.

Who else around here is still sporting E series KDX's? I know wibbly is, and kdxquebec. You guys using the stock needle, or have you changed it out?

While we're on the subject, here's the old girl just a little dirty. It was pretty muddy and wet while I was working on the jets. :grin:

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I'm RB'd, and running a dek I believe

Morie has an E too
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS