kips valve actuator rod

Got questions? We got answers....
dephill983

kips valve actuator rod

Post by dephill983 »

when removing the top of the actuator rod i turned it too far clockwise, after the top end was removed, and the rod made a snap sound and had a lot of play in it. i removed the small screw that let the rod move out of the case about 1 inch. i turned the rod back to the left, away from the clutch side, and pushed the rod back into the case. the rod now seemed to engage the generator that turnes the kips valve. it doesnt seem that the pin on the end of the rod is damaged. i keep hearing that the rod needs to be supported. is that to prevent what i did or to prevent damage to the kips valve inside the cylender? i did support it upon removal and the valve is fine. the rod seams to be working fine. just want to make sure their isnt something in the gears thats going to cause problems later. thanks ted
start em ridin young
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

You broke the KIPS Govnor. You need to take the case cover off & replace. The govnor is elfaboiut $20 + the right side case gasket. I did this myself...The Rod DID NOT BREAK
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

" i keep hearing that the rod needs to be supported. is that to prevent what i did or to prevent damage to the kips valve inside the cylender"

yes, you broke the kips governor. DO NOT RUN YOUR BIKE until you fix it (even at idle in the garage). Remove the clutch cover and find ALL the broken pieces of the kips, if you don't they will get in your gear and cause a LOT of damages.
If you don't have a manual, get one, will save you a lot of trouble.
dephill983

Post by dephill983 »

THANKS FOR THE REPLY. WHEN I DID THIS I DRAINED THE OIL AND TOOK THE CLUTCH COVER OFF AND THERE WERE NO PIECES AT ALL. IS IT POSSIBLE THAT WHEN I TURNED IT THAT THE PIN ON THE BOTTOM OF THE ROD JUST CAME OUT OF WHATEVER HOLE IT SITS IN ON THE GOVENOR? WHEN I MOVED THE ROD AND SLID IT BACK IN IT WENT BACK INTO WHATEVER HOLDS IT AND IT HAS TENSION AND RETURNS BACK LIKE IT SHOULD. IF I BROKE SOMETHING WOULD IT STILL BE ABLE TO ENGAGE AND HAVE TENSION ON IT? IS IT THE CLUTCH COVER I SHOULD REMOVE TO CHECK IT AGAIN?
start em ridin young
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Wow, all caps is annoying.

Yes, you pull the INNER clutch cover to access the kips governor. The most common breakage is the pin that catches in the groove in the governor, and not the governor itself. If something did break it should be fairly obvious. If nothing is broken then I suppose it's possible that the pin simply snapped out of the groove, but I don't quite see how that could happen without something bending somewhere....

And yes, that is the reason you need to support the rod when loosening or tightening the nut on top.
dephill983

Post by dephill983 »

sorry about the caps, didnt mean to yell. thanks for the advice. i think ill take the inner case cover off and take a look to be sure. thanks again, ted
start em ridin young
dephill983

Post by dephill983 »

took it apart and the pin is still intact but the small plate that holds it to the rod is bent.
start em ridin young
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

you'll need to replace it. YOU GOT LUCKY.