bronco95tgp top end

Got questions? We got answers....
bronco95tgp

bronco95tgp top end

Post by bronco95tgp »

I finally got started on my top end right here before warm temperatures return to Alabama. The bike is an '04 KDX220, this is the first top end rebuild. I am the original owner. I run Motul 800 at 40:1, I recently changed this past year, ran 32:1 for the majority of the time I've had the bike.
How do ya'll think this looks? I am replacing the piston. I can't get a good picture of the cylinder 'till the sun comes up but there is no carbon build up on the wall at all. It it really necessary to remove the KIPS to clean it? I have the cyclepedia manual handy but it seems a little tedious.
its a '04 KDX 220 cadillac
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Looks out of focus :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

bronco, I'm in the midst of putting mine back together. The KIPS is a piece of cake. I was scared sh!#less to take it apart but the carbon and oil sludge in there was too much to ignore.

Just be careful with the main valve lever bolt; it's an allen head. It'll turn but you don't want to booger it up. Also, on the left hand side (of the bike) there is the valve lock bolt, when you drop that down there is a spring and a ball bearing in there. They wont pop out, but just keep in mind that they are there. Good luck.

Hopefully, I will be buttoning mine up this weekend.
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
bronco95tgp

Post by bronco95tgp »

Sorry Wibbens, I forgot when seeking knowledge from old men one must provide clear photos for their old eyes. :cool:
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Hey now! Don't be trying to hurt my feelers

I would not want to have to tell you to go have intercourse with yourself

:wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:Hey now! Don't be trying to hurt my feelers

Wibbs, did you drive by yet?
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Nope

Maybe he's actually working?

Or maybe he's cleaning the office....

((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
bronco95tgp

Post by bronco95tgp »

I'm here for information to help me get my KDX back on the trail in the best shape possible. Simple as that.

I'm pretty sure the mission of kdxrider.net is to provide its members with that information.

wibbens if your not here to help with that then please go rack up your post count on another thread.

This forum was actually useful back when JasonWho invited me over..
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

>|<>QBB<
bronco95tgp wrote:I'm here for information to help me get my KDX back on the trail in the best shape possible. Simple as that.

I'm pretty sure the mission of kdxrider.net is to provide its members with that information.

wibbens if your not here to help with that then please go rack up your post count on another thread.

Whoa! Have you read Wibbs disclaimer in his signature? He is being sarcastic and referencing another post.
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Some better quality pic would help...
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

JasonWho?
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
bronco95tgp wrote:I'm here for information to help me get my KDX back on the trail in the best shape possible. Simple as that.

[youtube][/youtube]
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
bronco95tgp

Post by bronco95tgp »

>|<>QBB<

I knew that was coming about his signature. If wibbens can't handle sarcasm himself then he has no room to dish it out.

I will try to get some fresh pics.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Really, relax a bit. If you're just looking for textbook answers to the things you need help with then a shop manual is probably better than a forum. There are specifications and service information there that will answer your original post just fine. There's plenty of help around here, and plenty of joking around and hanging out too. That's one of the things that makes this the best forum going. If if doesn't work for you, well then you'll probably get all bent out of shape.

For what it's worth, I can't tell enough from your pics. The head looks really clean. Almost TOO clean. I think I can see some considerable blow-by on the piston in the last pic, but maybe it's a shadow. It'd be nice to see a nice clear picture of the bore to try and judge the condition of the cylinder.

No way I'd have the top end that far down and not clean the kips. There's no reason not to, and you'll gain some piece of mind and knowledge too.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
VirtualVarmint wrote:>|<>QBB<

Wibbs, did you drive by yet?
Just received an email from him, so he's still alive and kicking
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
bronco95tgp

Post by bronco95tgp »

These flicks are a little better..
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I hope that is just a reflection in the pic of the cylinder on the exhaust side :shock:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:I hope that is just a reflection in the pic of the cylinder on the exhaust side :shock:
Yeah, those horizontal markings are not good.
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Looks like a reflection to me....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Still hard to be 100% sure of anything. The new pics are better though, thanks. That verifies some blowby on the piston, but I suspect that would be expected on an 04 running the original rings. Cylinder seems to look pretty good. Throw a mic on it, and if it checks out slap a wiseco in there and hit the trail.