gasket hell

Got questions? We got answers....
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

gasket hell

Post by Julien D »

Dang. If anyone orders a cometic top end gaskit kit from seller cascade motorsports on fleaby, beware. You may end up with a gasket kit containing a head gasket which appears to be for a KDX250. Oddly enough the gasket kit I received is labeled 89-94 KDX200, and contains all the correct gaskets except for the head gasket.

I'm slightly irritated seeing as how the head gasket was the main item I needed out of this kit. So much for riding friday! :cry:

Here's the head gasket that was in the kit. Anyone care to verify for me if it's a KDX250 gasket as I suspect? It is certainly not an E or H series KDX200 gasket.

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

juliend, my Moose gasket kit is on the way from ebay, but mines for the H model. I'm hoping its made of metal and not fiber. Anyway, should I be using any gasket sealer when I install the new ones? Sorry for the thread-jack!
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

I wouldn't use any sealant on the gaskets. I used to but it doesn't seem to make any difference. I just put them on dry now and have never had any issues. The only time I use any sealant is if the mating surface is a little damaged.
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

nope, no sealant.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Agreed, no sealant unless you have a visible problem somewhere. This gasket set must have been mispackaged by cometic. I can't find any other explanation. The seller has offered to send a replacement out right away. Real nice guy.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Just to note, cascadelakesmotorsports is great. He agreed, must be mispackaged. Sent a replacement out first thing this morning, with return materials for the incorrect set. I'm down an extra week, but it's nice to know there are still some "no hassle" ebay sellers out there.
b209pilot

Post by b209pilot »

I just had the same problem with a cometic top end gaskit kit, but they had packaged the wrong intake gasket in it.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Interesting. I've had three cheapo athena complete gasket kits, and they were all completely perfect. Guess I'll just go with them or moose next time. Cheaper anyway...
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

I just used the Athena gasket set too but it didn't come with the copper washer that goes between the cylinder and the pipe. It had some kind of spacer that I didn't want to use so I re used the old copper one. I ordered a new one from Bike Bandit and when it gets here I'll install it.
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Moose is a good kit, even has all the o-rings and the tiny seal for the actuator shaft
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Maybe I'll try the moose kit next time. Thx Wibbly..
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

>|QBB<[/url]
Mr. Wibbens wrote:Moose is a good kit, even has all the o-rings and the tiny seal for the actuator shaft
+1 on the Moose Kit... and it's made in the USA to boot!

H series KDX 200 Moose Top End Gasket Kit
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX