Bike wont start, what to check next?

Got questions? We got answers....
Iceveign

Bike wont start, what to check next?

Post by Iceveign »

He guys, I have a 1995 KDX 200 and I'm the original owner. My bike sat in the garage for about 8 years with a busted tank, so the fact that I let it sit so long may contribute to whatever problem it may have, I don't know if letting a bike sit for that long does anything to it but if you have any suggestions regarding that I,m all ears.

Ok, I bought a new tank, replaced crankshaft oil, spark plug, new sprockets and chain, brake fluid, and was all ready to get back into riding. I kicked it 5 times and it started right up and ran for about 3 minutes and died. Couldn't get it started again. Took off the carb, which I should of done in the first place and broke the housing( that holds the floats ) while trying to clean it.

I bought a used stock carb, cleaned it and put it on, still wont start.

Took off the petcock and found it was completely jammed full of hard deposits, cleaned it out, put it back on, still won't start. The carb is getting gas, but won't start.

So I guess my main question is, is there something I should check due to letting my bike sit for so long?

Any thoughts would be appreciated, and yes I've been a bad owner.
Last edited by Iceveign on 09:27 pm Jan 17 2010, edited 1 time in total.
1995 kdx 200
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Clean or replace the jets.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Iceveign

Post by Iceveign »

I did clean the carb, it looked like it was cleaned by the seller, but I didn't take out the jets, so I'll try that.
1995 kdx 200
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The jets are frequently overlooked. People half ass clean them but they have such small orifaces that a small piece of crap can clog them and make them useless.

I use a guitar string to run through them.... usually some dried up crap comes out.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Iceveign

Post by Iceveign »

I took of my carb so ican clean the jets, was fiddling around with the petcock again, only have about a 1/4 tank of gas in the tank. No gas is coming out with the fuel switched on and just dribbles with it on reserve. Now when I was cleaning the petcock I noticed the main fuel tube was a good 3-4 inches higher than the reserve tube/screen. So I might not have enough gas for the main line, that was the one I cleaned all the crud out, but was unable to take off the reserve screen.

So my question is I'm thinking about buying a new petcock, but before I do is the oem my only choice and what other options concerning fuel lines and fuel line filters are recommended. I see several cheap fuel filters for sale but some people are complaining bout melting and them being to small, are fuel valves worth the money. I'm all for keeping it cheap but don't mind spending money on quality parts if its worth it.
1995 kdx 200
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I don't use any filters.... except the one in the tank. Mine is a 95 also. I have cleaned it before though.... reverse flow cleaning.

As far as fuel line goes.... I have standard 1/4" black car fuel line. I have some clear fuel line for a reserve but it tends to kink easier than the stout black stuff.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

riggy

Post by riggy »

I wouldnt spend the money on a new petcok . I would clean it and filter my fuel . I dont have a screen on mine . JMO
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

check also the stator coil and the CDI.
A true KDX customizer!!
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Just clean it well, and make sure no more dirt gets dumped into the tank.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project