sand blasting

Got questions? We got answers....
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

sand blasting

Post by scheckaet »

I need to sandblast my frame, was gonna have it done by a shop but thinking about giving it a try myself.
anybody got any tips?

Is this even worth it? for 10 bux seems i could give it a go. Even if it doesn't do a professional job, that might be enough to remove most of the paint and save time and money if I have the pro do it later.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... -100008764

canuckhybrid125
Supporting Member

Post by canuckhybrid125 »

Thats what I used to do all of my bike,I just poured all the sand in a bucket and blasted away.But first I made sure to tape everything up that I did'nt want sand getting into.
It Is What It Is

2000 KX KDX Hybrid
2006 KX 100
2004 TTR 125 LE
2010 KTM 300
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

Does it work off of your air compressor? Pretty cool, and cheap!
Yes, they really do let me drive the Train!
1991 KDX 250 $Sold but not forgotten....
1996 Suzuki DR 350 $Sold!
2002 Honda CR 250 worth more than my house at this point........ :-)
2004 DR 650se Road Warrior
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

looks like it from the ad, i'll give it a go next week and report if it's total junk.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Silica is very dangerous to your health!

Any micro particles are and make sure you wear a damn good respirator and goggles.

You are best leaving this to a pro. Some DIY projects are best left to the pros and let them take the hit since they have all the safety equipment to avoid damaging their lungs.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Go rent a soda blaster

They are much safer. The one I used mixed the soda with water at the tip, eliminating any dust. They work really slick. I think safety goggles was all that was required to run the thing

We used it for removing creosote off of veneer drying equipment. Nice thing about the soda blaster is there was no need for clean-up of the used media like you would have with other media types
Last edited by Mr. Wibbens on 09:20 pm Jan 17 2010, edited 1 time in total.
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

We had some of those type at work several years ago but got rid of them. They get the blasting media everywhere. In the air, in your face, all over your garage. The best type of sand blaster for smaller stuff is the kind that's enclosed.

There are several types of blasting media. At work we have both silica and plastic beads. I use the plastic beads to clean my spark plugs. They won't damage the tip.
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
canuckhybrid125
Supporting Member

Post by canuckhybrid125 »

Yes you need a respirator,one of those white disposable suits and I wore goggles plus a face shield.I also had a big box that I cut a opening into so the sand would'nt get everywhere.I have a 3hp compressor with a 35gallon tank,you might get away with something smaller but you will need alot of air.There was a write up of someone that had his frame soda blasted and the powdercoating reacted to the soda blasted frame,he had to get all his frame sandblasted again.
It Is What It Is

2000 KX KDX Hybrid
2006 KX 100
2004 TTR 125 LE
2010 KTM 300
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Yeah I read a little more about it, the danger and the investment for a REAL good mask, air supply and such doesn't seem worth it for the little use I'll have for it.
Thanks for the great info, this site is awesome, another reason why I ask here 1st, always good advice (if not advice, i'll always get a good laugh out of the posts) :prayer: