wheel lacing

Got questions? We got answers....
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

I have the same one Wibbi
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

update:
I got the cheap (same as shown earlier) spoke wrench, works great BUT it only works on the oem KDX spokes. It's too small for the warp 9 spokes (or the KX spokes for that matter). I ended using a 7 mm open wrench and it worked fine since the spokes and nipples were greased and new.
The open wrench worked also on most of the KX spokes for the front wheel, i say most because some were rusted out and I boogered them up. I managed to get them out anyway, and just replaced them with the other nipples I had laying around.

Lacing the wheel was fairly easy, but the sequence of installing them was backward from the TT article, the principle stay the same though.
Just took my time and now I just need to test ride it, then see if they need to be tighten or not.

Hope this will help whoever decide to give it a try.
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

By backwards from the ThumperTalk thread do you mean install the outers first then the inners. Seems like I remember that thread says to put in the inners then the outers. Sometimes you have to put the outers in first to make it easier to install the inners.
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
2016 KTM 350XCF-W Six Days
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

yep that's what I meant.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

My wheel is done.

BTW, when building a new wheel, you get to use a regular torque wrench on the nipples. The inside of the hub side of the nipples have an allen socket. I used an allen socket on my torque wrench.

I used this site for instruction on how to build. folks, this is one of the easier jobs to do. I'd rather lace a new rim than mount a M5B to a 19" rim. Ha!

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showth ... p?t=583471

Certainly easier than changing out suspension bearings or a top end job.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Jupiter2
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Jupiter2 »

Looks great skip!
I plan on lacing up my first wheel real soon myself, front wheel for a KX500 (fork swap), and this thread helped a lot. Thanks! I'm trying to figure out exactly what tools I need. Looks like just a torque wrench, spoke wrench and Allen wrenches. I'm guessing you all use a spoke wrench over an open is the open can destroy the nipples? Plus after reading this thread i better make sure I know what size wrench i need for the nipples. I was planning on just getting the ROWE wrench.

Unfortunately the Thumpertalk site is down while they switch over to a new software package. Not sure if I'll get access to that article again. :( I'll keep looking for a walk through but if anyone knows of a good one maybe post up the link.
gregf@aimcom.com

2000 KDX 200
2002 XR200
Kazuma 90cc quad