EG 225-how much gain?

Got questions? We got answers....
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

EG 225-how much gain?

Post by bcdonyo »

So I finally slapped on my PC pipe, silencer and and VF reed cage yesterday and am super pleased with the power increase.
(crappy phone pic)
But, being a fat kid who rides in the desert a lot I'd like a little more. Can anyone tell me if going with the 225 upgrade is worth the $? I bought my bike with very little time on it and am toying with the idea of doing the 225 now, or should I wait until the top end needs to be done?

Can't wait to get the KX front end on her!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

By all accounts... I would think it would be a great mod for those riding in the desert. I believe fuel consumption would be much great though. I would look into getting a Clark tank for it also.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Post by bcdonyo »

I'm gonna get the Clarke. I buy big tanks for all of my bikes that they make them for, out here it's pretty much manditory to have lots of fuel. After running out for like the fifth time on my Husky back in the 90's I poped for a $600 factory tank. Worth every penny!
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

Do the RB carb and Head mod. That'll give you a bit more umph. especially at full throttle. My KDX can wind up like a 125 but with much more power and it even gained a little more power at low rpm.
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
johnyblaze
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by johnyblaze »

I'm sending my carb and head to RB for some attention. The PO sent the 33mm carb to FRP and had it bored to 35, but it seems a little off on the lowend and jetting seems off allaround. I'm hoping RB can make it right.

Also emailed RB to see if he'll press my KDX stem into a newly acquired KX250 clamp for a fork swap.

bcdonyo - That's a nice looking KDX. I notice you have signals, brakelight, etc installed. There is another recent thread in which there are questions regarding stator wattage and AC to DC rectification for the KDX. I don't mean to hijack this thread - maybe you could comment as to how well your system works.
1998 KDX220 with goodies
2002 KTM LC4E
2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Post by bcdonyo »

>|<>QBB<
johnyblaze wrote: I notice you have signals, brakelight, etc installed. There is another recent thread in which there are questions regarding stator wattage and AC to DC rectification for the KDX. I don't mean to hijack this thread - maybe you could comment as to how well your system works.
I bought the bike with the Baja Designs kit installed. I believe the PO said he had the dealer install it. It is the newer kit with the battery, regulator, flasher and horn mounted inside the headlight. I noticed it still uses the factory regulator under the seat, which contradicts what the BD instructions say.

According to the instructions, you should use the driving/parking lamp if you don't have the coil re-wound. I've found this to be true. I put in an LED driving bulb in place of the 5 watt one and the bike has an LED tail light. It charges the little nicad battery quickly, unless you run the 35 watt headlight, which will run bright, but discharges the battery fairly quickly and renders the turn signals usless.

I think the regulator mounted to the headlight is a rectifier, but I'm not sure. In short the kit works real well, and should be great when I get a higher output coil. BD claims they can re-wind the stator to put out 120 watts. I have a set of led turn signals I have yet to install. I don't plan on using the bike for street duty, I have some big thumpers for that, but I like having the plate to ride to and connect trails.

Linky:
http://www.bajadesigns.com/2005%20Web%2 ... lassic.pdf