2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Wiseco says Use what you normally use

I could not find any definite reason to use dino for break-in
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

Make sure the cylinder is clean inside (you used the Scotchbrite with WD40 didn't you?!), lube the wrist pin and bearing when you install it into the piston and put the cylinder onto the engine/piston completly dry. No oil at all (except the wrist pin). The oil mixed in the gas will coat the cylinder as soon as you kick it over. You don't want the cylinder and piston coated with oil because as soon as it fires any excess oil will load up the cross hatch pattern and slow/prevent a proper break in. Start it and ride it. Someone had a link to an article about engine break in and they said to run it hard right from the start. I've tried it several times (it's really hard to do the first time...made me cringe) and had very good luck.
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

First I've ever heard of putting it all back together dry :roll:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Really? Lots of people go for the dry assembly. The idea behind it is that excessive lube in the cylinder can cause premature glazing on the cylinder walls which prevents the rings from seating quickly/correctly.

Personally I think it's fine either way. I lube the ring lands and rings along with the piston pin, but I do not coat the cylinder with oil or anything else.
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

I've used the dry assembly many times on 4-stroke 4 and 6 cylinder engines. Lube the heck out of the bearings and a drop of oil on the cylinder skirt and fire em up. You get an engine that does not fill the neighborhood with smoke on the first start. Let it run for a minute or so at several thousand rpm and start driving.

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

Oops, I meant piston skirt, not cylinder skirt.

IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:First I've ever heard of putting it all back together dry :roll:
Use to be a school of thought that you assemble the cylinder and piston rings dry and then use an electric drill, or even a speed wrench, to turn the piston over in the cylinder 200-300 times to get the initial seal established between the rings and cylinder. This would be prior to ever feeding any mixed gas into the cylinder.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Yeah, that's for true old school 'break-ins' All we're doing here is a ring seat. Nothing else is 'breaking in'
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project