newb here...

Got questions? We got answers....
brokemk3

newb here...

Post by brokemk3 »

hey all..im new to the forum and i have just recently bought a 93 kdx 200 and ive been having issuses with the kick starter. The kid i bought it from said he dosent know whats wrong with it but i need to find top dead center in order to start it. ITs so annoying it almost never catches and i have to slowly and when i mean slowly i mean snail slow lower the kick starter till it catches and then kick. what could be causing this problem?
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

sounds like the gear kick starter is fubar. You probably need to open the right side cover (easy) and check it out.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

There's a couple gears in the kick starter mechanism that get worn out and cause that problem. The ratchet gear and spur gear.
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

No worries, its a common problem.just cheak it out and if the kick mechanism is the problem, just buy off a good one in ebay.
A true KDX customizer!!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I have a lightly used set of the gears you would need, if you determine that is the problem.
brokemk3

Post by brokemk3 »

i dont really know much about these bikes im going to change out the gear oil and change my spark plug tomarrow becuase it came out black and nasty but other then that i dont think i would be able to open up the case i feel like im going to eff **** up.

side note: can you guys tell me what all this crap is ?

93 KDX 200
95 VW Jetta gls

**www.Cteurospec.net**
Taylord123

Post by Taylord123 »

that is probably the brake light wiring

and i have a problem my kdx 1993 200 will stick the throttle and once i have killed it, it is fine the cable is extremly free and returns well :sad:
KDX_MAN 200 vforce reeds stock as a block
Taylord123

Post by Taylord123 »

its really starting to piss me off :mad:
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

The only nice thing about buying a bike with a goobered up kickstart mechanism is that the PO did not ride it much......... :supz:

Getting at that mechanism shouldn't be too difficult. The whole right side cover can come off without removing the motor from the bike, I believe. A number of people on here have experience with that mechanism - it does sound a little tricky to get back in there properly.

Brokemk3- I would not worry about that extra wiring at this point if the bike runs. Tape the ends and stow it away for now. It probably went to the tailight or head light. Someone may have put an MX rear fender on to make it go faster.

Taylord-
I'd carefully pull the throttle slide and cable and throttle mechanism on the handlebar and clean everything up and make sure it is together correctly. There is a plastic cable retainer inside the slide that is easy to put in wrong.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

that is the voltage regulator. I own a 1992 KDX 200 SR model and that is to regulate voltage to your signal and healight etc...so that the lights always recieve a constant voltage as not to blow. if you find that you headlight always blow, chances are the regulator is faulty.

Hope I am correct.
A true KDX customizer!!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

While you can indeed see the VR in his picture, the bunch of wires he's holding in his hand captioned by "what is all this crap" would be the wiring harness for the lights.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Taylord,

Sometimes an air leak can make you think the throttle is stuck. If the kill switch shuts the engine off and you restart it without moving the throttle, it would go back to a high rev condition if the throttle was really stuck.

If you have an air leak, you are running lean and will eventually blow your motor.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Taylord123

Post by Taylord123 »

where would the air leak come from as i do all the clamps up tightly to the carb and the gasket is in good condition where it meets the reed block
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

base gasket, head gasket, crank seals, case halves, intake manifold... Umm... that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Nice thread jack btw....
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

Form the picture, it seem like the VR is not connected as well. Do a top end overhual and service up all the linkages, shock, fork, steering stem.
top up fresh coolant, gear oil, clean air filter, carb is all i recommend.
A true KDX customizer!!
brokemk3

Post by brokemk3 »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:base gasket, head gasket, crank seals, case halves, intake manifold... Umm... that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Nice thread jack btw....
lmao i know right? just messin idc.
93 KDX 200
95 VW Jetta gls

**www.Cteurospec.net**