Can you re-align an expansion chamber ?

Got questions? We got answers....
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Can you re-align an expansion chamber ?

Post by ihatefalling »

Blah....banged a stump with the part of my Gnarley that sticks out on the left side of the bike.....the sideways "U" portion right after it comes of the head. It pushed it back a little bit. It's still sealing up ok front and rear, but it's putting a lot of stress on the mounting tabs.

Any way you can bend those things back? If I could pull that "U" curve forward about a half inch or so I think I'd be good to go.....thx
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
Fork Swap - 99 KX125 Valved for B woods plush
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I've changed the alignment of my pipe a few times by using bars stuck in the ends and reefing on it.

The particular bend you're dealing with would be somewhat difficult to get a purchase on. Mine have generally been on the bell of the pipe.

You could do it if you could put the 'U' in a vise (use a couple blocks of wood to buffer the pipe from the vise jaws, 'natch)...IF the vise is secured to something sturdy.

My vise is clamped to my table saw..not nearly good enough to hold the vise for the bend you're talking about....even with the saw having a cast iron deck that weighs a LOT!

They bend a whole lot easier than you might think.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!