jetting ?

Got questions? We got answers....
coffekid

jetting ?

Post by coffekid »

From all the feedback I got from my first question, I decided to put a wiseco piston in my 220 I just bought. I would like to also put boyensen pro reeds in. Do you think the pro reeds are a viable option? Also, will the stock jetting be adequate. It seems like I read the stock 220 jetting was a little fat from the factory, but i'm not sure.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Most bikes are jetted rich off the floor.

'Pro' meaning carbon?

Carbon reeds are generally on the stiff side of things..and that will generally have more effect on the top end of things than the bottom.

That's a lot of 'general' stuff, 'eh? Moto tassinari's carbon reeds have been different in that regard.

..the 220 isn't ever ON the 'top end' of things. It just doesn't get there with the OEM 33mm carb and the port tune it has.

I don't ride a 220...and my input is worth every penny you paid for it...but I'd guess you would be happy with Boyesens power reeds..the fiberglas ones..NOT the carbon reeds.

Save your money for a REAL reed system..like the VF3. :wink:

The jetting your bike requires is pretty much up to you based on your particular bike..your riding style and environs. I doubt the stock jetting is the best choice. The way to find out is to learn how to jet your bike..and do it.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: jetting ?

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
coffekid wrote:From all the feedback I got from my first question, I decided to put a wiseco piston in my 220 I just bought. I would like to also put boyensen pro reeds in. Do you think the pro reeds are a viable option? Also, will the stock jetting be adequate. It seems like I read the stock 220 jetting was a little fat from the factory, but i'm not sure.
Here's a little info for ya

http://www.shopfrpoffroad.com/aboutus.htm
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
coffekid

jetting?

Post by coffekid »

Thanks Mr.wibbins and you to Carver. Were could I find a jet kit with a good selection of jets at a descent price?
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

just go to any decent motorcycle shop and get a few size down for the main and pilot (you'll have to know which one you are running), try them and do pug chop test. do a search, you'll find a good post from inda about how to jet your bike
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Some shops let you exchange jets. It keeps them from having to buy lots of new ones..and lets YOU try 'some' and trade 'em in for some OTHER 'some'.

If you do happen to trade, look over the jets you pick up to see they aren't damaged, scaped up, plugged up, threads messed up and such.

I got one once that had been overtightened..the threads were fractured at the base of the 'hex' part of the jet.

Consider the source

Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Agree with the posts above. A "jet kit" is almost always a waste of some money. You'll end up with plenty of jets you don't need, and only a couple you do. And that's AFTER payin some fool for the service of pickin out which ones he THINKS you need.

Of course, the JD kit is probably worth every penny, since you get those nice custom needles with it....

J.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote: Of course, the JD kit is probably worth every penny, since you get those nice custom needles with it....

J.
You may well be right about that! :wink:

Consider the source