Radio's

Got questions? We got answers....
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Radio's

Post by Mark W »

I just got done reading the highlightsof the weekend over at CC'- sure sounds like it was fun. If I only lived closer to Oregon.....

One of the comments I found interesting was on radios. Does anyone have a radio in their helmet or do you just cary some handhelds? I have some 5 mile Motorolas and bought a earbud/microphone to plug into the radio. I have to reach under my helmet to push the push to talk button which is cumbersome. Are there any other options? It would be nice to be able to have a conversation with my son when he is off and riding way ahead of me on the trails.

Mark
karbon_dunn

Post by karbon_dunn »

We use Chatterbox GMRS X1 Stereo Communicator. Even though it is basically setup for road use it has a 5 mile range in open area. I haven't been able to test the range out in the woods yet but so far we have not had any problems with cut out, interference, durability. So far I am pleased with them along with the guys I go riding with. Somewhat pricey in my opinion but it is good when you get seperated or end up pinned under your bike when you have seperated from others and can't get to your radio. I think I paid around $350 for mine but that is only one unit. Another rider would be another $350. They do have other models available like the FRS-Multi Sport which I believe is around $200.

http://www.hjc-chatterbox.com/

The voice mic is a nice feature with a little tuning to get pickup right but when thinking about using the Motorola T5500's I had those were sufficient. Depends I guess on what you are willing to pay for the extra features and the convience not having to fumble around with a radio. Just my 2 cents.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

We use hand-helds strapped to the chest protector. Ski had his in a bag strapped to his bars. Farmer had his in his tool kit, I think. Emergency use only I guess.

Put the PTT button on your bars (one option).

Use the VOX option (I've never found anyone that liked it..but you can try it).

We don't use it for 'conversation'....meaning we don't converse in any ongoing fashion. More like, 'Where'd you go?' or, 'Help!' or, 'Oops!'

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Mark W »

The earbud/mic is interesting,. The PTT button is on the mic so I don't think I can put this button on the handlebars.

It would be nice to stay connected to my kid. Ever ride with an 8 year old with a mind of his own. That kid is off like a rocket and goes wherever his wanderlust takes him. Got seperated once on some trails and he was a scared kid.

$350 each sounds a bit steep but also sounds like the way to go for road bikes.

Mark
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The 'put it on your bars' idea does involve some re-wiring.

Of course, that also makes you tethered to your bars. Guess you'd get used to it.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Rod Smith
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rod Smith »

Motocomm makes some headsets that will work with most brands of radios. They have an optional PTT switch that will mount on the index finger. Much better than the PTT on the handle bars. Easier to get off and on when you put the radio in your chest protector also. Here is their link. Call them if you can't find something.

https://www.rflimited.com/Default.asp
2000 KDX 220