Turbine Core 2 Maintenance

Got questions? We got answers....
SOARSKI
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by SOARSKI »

I decided to take it a step further and drill the end cap rivets. It was difficult getting the cap off as there is not much to grab onto. Below are some pics of what the inside condition was like, carbon and sludge. I sprayed brake cleaner inside, but there was still thick sludge leftover. Next I took a torch and burned a lot of it out. This probably would have been good enough, but I was still curious, so I drilled the 2 rivets that held in the spark arrestor. I inserted a piece of wood on the input side and tried to tap the arrestor out the rear but it got stuck at the end. Then I tried it from the rear, Oh Yeah! I took my scrap wood tapping the arrestor toward the the input side, it worked.

Above pic is after I used the torch to clean it.

Above shows the arrestor being removed from the input side.

If I did it again I would use a larger diameter scrap wood to distribute the force over the spark arrestor while tapping it out. That way you're less likely to bend it. I was able to remove it without damage!

Now I need to finish cleaning and see if I can get it back in.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

To each his own

I like the string

I've repacked mine 2 or 3 times and the bag is still 3/4's full

IMHO it's as easy as any other material, but I've used it lots more than any other material
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|QBB<[/url]
SOARSKI wrote:I decided to take it a step further and drill the end cap rivets. It was difficult getting the cap off as there is not much to grab onto. Below are some pics of what the inside condition was like, carbon and sludge. I sprayed brake cleaner inside, but there was still thick sludge leftover. Next I took a torch and burned a lot of it out. This probably would have been good enough, but I was still curious, so I drilled the 2 rivets that held in the spark arrestor. I inserted a piece of wood on the input side and tried to tap the arrestor out the rear but it got stuck at the end. Then I tried it from the rear, Oh Yeah! I took my scrap wood tapping the arrestor toward the the input side, it worked.

Above pic is after I used the torch to clean it.

Above shows the arrestor being removed from the input side.

If I did it again I would use a larger diameter scrap wood to distribute the force over the spark arrestor while tapping it out. That way you're less likely to bend it. I was able to remove it without damage!

Now I need to finish cleaning and see if I can get it back in.
Wow!

Imagine that, looks very similar to my TC donut?

Whodathunkit?

Dunno bout you? But it looks quite serviceable to me!

Whatdaya say Mr Fullahorshit? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Mr. Wibbens on 12:10 am Jan 13 2010, edited 2 times in total.
barryadam
Supporting Member

Post by barryadam »

I found the easiest way to clean all those internal parts (including the long perf tube part) was to put them on the gas BBQ, crank up the heat, close the lid, and come back in about 3 hours. Tap out the grey ash, and clean as a whistle.
"I hate heli-coils. They are like hospice for motorcycle parts."- BDI
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Sounds good to me!

I like mapp gas though

Getter done in 15min :supz:
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

>|<>QBB<
barryadam wrote:I found the easiest way to clean all those internal parts (including the long perf tube part) was to put them on the gas BBQ, crank up the heat, close the lid, and come back in about 3 hours. Tap out the grey ash, and clean as a whistle.
Don't invite me for your next bbq...
SOARSKI
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by SOARSKI »

I've got it all back together! I used the parts washer w/ solvent at work and a brush to clean the parts. It did a pretty descent job, see pics, but did not remove heavy carbon. The most difficult part of reassembly was getting the rear cap and stinger? back in. PITA. To pack the small void between the arrestor and can I cut a strip of packing wrapped the arrestor and then slid the arrestor into the can.

I don't think I'll be going to all this effort for every repack, maybe just when it looks like the goo has really built up.

Image[/img]
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Cool !! :supz:

Thanks for posting pics!

Carvr dinner for one, your table is ready!

Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Bahhh!!!
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

Dude, your poking the Bear :wink:
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

he aint no bear

He's more like a buzzy little bumblebee
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

oh man :kick:
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F