Higher Bars or Risers?

Got questions? We got answers....
SOARSKI
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Higher Bars or Risers?

Post by SOARSKI »

Since I'm going to buy some hand guards soon I figure I will replace the handle bars while I'm at. The bike is new to me, 2004 200 which Ive ridden only once. I finally found a bud to ride with here in St. Louis area. Anyway, I'd like to eventually put on USD forks which I have, 96 KX 500 forks.

Would it make more sense to buy lower bars, say 2.7" high and add a bar riser to lift the bar 1". Would this allow more room for the USD fork to slide beyond the top of the triple tree if needed and give better access to fork adjusters and air bleeders?

OR

Buy a higher bar such as a CR High bend, 3.7" high. Is there plenty of room between the bars and the top of each to access the adjusters and air bleeders with this setup?

Would a steering damper play nice with each of these configurations?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

You can only slide the tubes up so far in the clamps before you are out of the clamping area of the tube. Much more than about 1/2" is pushing the limit on most forks. I wouldn't use that as a reason to use risers over taller bars, because you aren't gonna get much more out of them anyway.

That said, have you checked out rox risers yet? Pretty sweet.
ohio2

Post by ohio2 »

I think the risers make more sense for the reason you listed. The longer KX forks will need a little room above the clamp. My 98 220 came with fatbars and risers which is handy because I'm adding the USD forks like you.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

http://www.roxspeedfx.com/cgi-bin/cart/ ... cat_id=268

Those are COOL. Someone here installed some recently. Wibbly maybe? My CR high bend tusk 1 1/8th bars will be here tomorrow. I'll let you know what I think of them.
jr111

Post by jr111 »

I installed a set of Rox Anti-vib risers on my KLR. They made a huge difference in the overall handling of the bike, due to better body position. Also, cuts out most of the vibration. I also opted for the Pro Taper ATV Hi Bend bars.

'02 KDX 220
'04 KLR 650
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

I think the risers would be a better choice. I pushed the forks up to where the geometry of the bike remained stock. With the risers I was still able to get to the clickers and bleed screws.

OR Buy a higher bar such as a CR High bend, 3.7" high. Is there plenty of room between the bars and the top of each to access the adjusters and air bleeders with this setup?
I don't think a higher bend would get better access because I believe the "bend" occurs after the fork tops.
Would a steering damper play nice with each of these configurations?
I was looking to do a submount and this is a little tricky. After my research it was determined that only a weld on tower option is available. The KDX head clamp option is no longer available.
See this thread: http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8170

Image[/quote]
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX