KDX 250 1st ride

Got questions? We got answers....
Mountainman650

KDX 250 1st ride

Post by Mountainman650 »

Hey guys
MAN , am I gonna have fun on this bike!!!! :grin:
This is my first KDX, so I can,t compare much w/the
200/220. Biggest impression was the EASY starting,1 to 2 kicks max!!!
It seems to have good compression,but I'm not used to having a kickstand on a kickstart bike, that is nice, you don't have to wrestle to keep the bike up while you kick it.
OOHHH,it has nice power. Right from the bottom it has a real nice pull(like a tractor!!) and it just goes up from there...A good whack of the throttle will bring the front end up, noo problem....
The first big mud puddle I got to, I thought I'd just goose the throttle a bit to get the front end up to skim across the mud hole and ,wow the bike almost stood straight up , the front end didn't get dirty anyway...lol,lol...
I didn't get to ride as long as I would have liked ,but the right front fork seal is leaking pretty good ,so ,I didn't want to ruin anything.
I'm gonna pull the forks off and let my local shop do them.Any ideas on what I should torque the fork clamps and axle too, when I get them back???I haven't got a chance to order any manuals yet...
Thanks
Catch ya later
Dave in Pa.
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Dave - First off welcome to the site! I don't have a specific number to torque the fork clamps and axle to but I bet that you could get away with using the 93-94 KDX 200 inverted fork specs as they used pretty much the same front suspension I believe. Jason has one of those inverted fork KDX's (and just about every manual in existance) so I'm sure he'll pipe up here sometime soon.

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Congratulations on enjoying your first ride.

Unfortunately, the 1989 - 1994 manual does not show a torque value for the nut on the 1993 & 1994 KDX200's. It is 65 for the 1989 - 1992 models. That is what value I torque it to. The 1991 - 1994 KDX250's have 43mm tube USD forks, and the 1993 and 1994 KDX200 forks are 41mm tubes. On my triple clamps, the values are 14.5 ft - lbs for the top triple clamp bolts and 17.5 for the lower triple clamp bolts. I guess your forks would be close to that. That is where the 250 supplemental manual may come in handy.

For the time being, you may want to pull down the dust seal and see if there is mud clogged up in there. Also, you may want to get a small syringe and inject a small amount of oil in the open air bleeder screw on the top of the forks. That will help in a pinch until you can get it repaired properly.

Here are the part numbers for the manuals:

99924-1114-02 (1989 - 1994 manual)

99924-1143-52 (KDX250 supplement)

morie: HA HA I wish I had every manual. :lol:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128