Will the E engine bolt/fit into the H frame?

Got questions? We got answers....
river
Supporting Member

Will the E engine bolt/fit into the H frame?

Post by river »

Will the E motor (89 to 94?) bolt in to the newer H frame?
Since it seems to be the favored motor in the ultimate KDX thread, why? Is it stronger down low than the 220 motor?

Thanks. I found one 89 motor locally and wonder if it's worth getting for a future swap into my 96 200.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I would like to know that myself..... I'm thinking not.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

An 'E':

An 'H':

If folks can put KDX engines in CR frames, I'm sure the E can fit into the H frame.

But...you did say 'bolt in'.

Look at the pipe routes. Looks to be a problem, don't it?

Re: '..favored. Why?'

Cylinders are not the same..meaning port differences. It's like wondering why a 106º centerline cam is different from a 110º cam in the same engine.

Ergonomics are considerably different. At least..any time I've ridden an E bike (only two of 'em), they feel completely strange to me. And, no, that isn't true of every 'different' bike I've ridden.

The KIPS on the E is a great big PITA. I wouldn't want to mess with it. It breaks a lot.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Yeah, the KIPS on the E series is just poor design on kawasaki's part. I have some ideas on how we could reduce the breakage there.

I do believe the E series engine would fit in the H series bike without major fitment issues. As Carvr mentions, pipe routing would likely be a pain. You'd probably have to cut and reweld the pipe, or use the header section from an E series pipe mated to the rest of an H series pipe. The angle that the pipe exits the cylinder from appears to be different.

Also, I have come to the conclusion that the H series engine or top end will not fit into the E series frame, because of the larger KIPS area in the forward part of the cylinder. It would hit the frame :(. You should not have this problem putting the E engine in the H frame though.

How about give it a shot and let us all know how it turns out!
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Thanks. I found one 89 motor locally and wonder if it's worth getting for a future swap into my 96 200.
I doubt the E motor would be much of an improvement over the H motor in a KDX frame. I've never ridden an E powered bike, so maybe I'm full of it.....
I bet the E motor would be great in any "modern" chassis, though. Then you would not have to worry about if it fits, 'cause it won't!
Put the E motor in a KX125 frame and you'd have something!

I'm still looking for a 175-250cc aircooled motor for a new project. Remember the IT175? Great motor!
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I LOVED that motor!

My first ever Hybrid was a IT175 motor in a YZ125 frame.... That thing was a great woods bike! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Lots of folks prefer the E series engine. It's a damn good motor. I wouldn't see ditching an H series engine out of a bike just to replace with an E series motor though. I would however consider building up a bike with an E series engine and an H series frame if I had one bit or the other laying around to start with.