RB carb and head work

Got questions? We got answers....
Willz

RB carb and head work

Post by Willz »

Does RB engrave/initial the head or carb after doing work to them? Just picked up a 97 that runs A LOT better than KDX's I owned in the past.
Willz

Post by Willz »

OK... just pulled the carb off... looks to be bored but no divider plate.... BTW its a 200.
Another question: If the reeds were 607's would they say Boyesen on them somewhere. The ones that are in it dont say anything.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

as far as i know Ron doesn't engrave anything, at least not on mine...
bike running better, could be the jetting is spot on or kips working the way it should, different pipe....
AtomicKDX

Re: RB carb and head work

Post by AtomicKDX »

No engraving that I've noticed on mine.

>|<>QBB<
Willz wrote:Does RB engrave/initial the head or carb after doing work to them? Just picked up a 97 that runs A LOT better than KDX's I owned in the past.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: RB carb and head work

Post by canyncarvr »

Engraved by RB.... :hmm: That would be cool.

I don't know of another reed mfg. that makes carbon reeds for the KDX except Boyesen. NOt saying there isn't one. I've never gone looking. Chances are they're Boyesen.

If there is no divider plate..and no SLOT for one, it's not one of his carbs. Oh...Mr. Black DOES mark the slides he machines. If your slide has been machined (polished cutaway), and the top (where the cable retainer is) is marked with a 'G' (and something that looks kind'a like a torx outline I think)..THAT is one of his slides. The 'G' stands for 7mm..what he cuts them too...G being the 7th letter of the alfayoubet!

...all based on my absolutely perfect remembry. :lie:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Willz

Post by Willz »

Thanks all for the great info.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
Willz wrote:OK... just pulled the carb off... looks to be bored but no divider plate.... BTW its a 200.
Another question: If the reeds were 607's would they say Boyesen on them somewhere. The ones that are in it dont say anything.
http://www.boyesen.com/cwo.php?store=bo ... mit=search
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Right. The boyesen reeds are quite different at a visual glance. No big nasty reed stop, and either dual stage or carbon petals.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Criminy...I assumed the setup in-question to NOT have the OEM reed stops. If it does..then there probably isn't a question. Dare I say..there's maybe somethin' dubious goin' on???!!! :shock:

Good catch juliend. That was Wibby's point, too, evidently.

That..and the 'dual stage' part of the Boyesens with would be plainly different from OEM reeds.

Another assumption on my part..that the OEM stops were gone..and the reeds were dual-stage..but how do you tell who made them!?

I know of riders that have put Boyesens on WITH the OEM stops, though. They din't read the 'structions.

Consider the source

Willz

Post by Willz »

I'm quite sure the reed cage itself is factory. What I'm wondering is if the reeds that are in it are factory, or if they are Boyesen replacements. Dont want to order some new 607's if thats whats already in it. The question is based on my assumption that Boyesen 607 power reeds are replacements for the stock setup. That assumption could certianly be wrong though.

I asked on the engraving/initials because I used to have a KX250 that had a custom built motor. The motor builder signed the head with an air pencil or something. Thought maybe RB would etch his initials on stuff after he worked on it.

I'm amazed how sweet this bike runs, but its looking like it doesnt have many mods. (torn down to the frame now). Apparently its just dialed in really well.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

If there are retainers (reed stops) still on the cage then chances are they are stock. I have a set of 607's in the parts bin and they look real similar to stock reeds. As in not carbon fiber.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Willz

Post by Willz »

Thanks
It does still have the stops. Wasnt aware the 607's didnt need them. That probably means the reeds that are in it are 12 years old. This bike looks like its hardly had any use, but I recon I'll order some new ones.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Sorry if I'm out standing in my field...but isn't something basic being missed here?
juliend wrote:The boyesen reeds are quite different at a visual glance. No big nasty reed stop, and either dual stage or carbon petals.
Yes!
Willz wrote:What I'm wondering is if the reeds that are in it are factory, or if they are Boyesen replacements.
I wrote:That..and the 'dual stage' part of the Boyesens with would be plainly different from OEM reeds.

Please. What am I missing?

The OEM reeds are NOT dual stage.

Is that correct? It's been a long while since I've looked at an OEM reed set, but I think they are NOT dual stage.

Boyesen doesn't help.

http://www.boyesen.com/cwo/OFFROAD#ssreeds

..says their superstock reeds...SINGLE LAYER...are carbon. That's not what it shows on the link Wibby posted. Internet pics are stupid. I've seen 2T piston pics with valve reliefs 'fer crine out loud.

Willz. What color are your reeds? Are they single stage or not?

The 607s are not stock replacements. They are dual stage.

Oh...re: 'It does still have the stops. Wasnt aware the 607's didnt need them.'

I said that earlier...and juliend said it before that. But I don't know which '..does still have..' refers to.

Honest. Point isn't to nit-pick. I read through this post and see a number of answers..and a number of responses that indicate the answers were missed.

After 1/2 dozen of such posts...things get real fuzzy.

Consider the source

Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Right. It's not if the reed block itself is stock that we're questioning here. If the reeds are boyesen aftermarket reeds, they will not have reed stops. The 607 reeds are fiberglass, like the stock reeds, but they are also dual stage. It's pretty easy to tell if there are two layers of reed or one.

For lack of any pictures....

The reed cage in this listing is 100% stock..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki ... ccessories

And this one has boyesen 607 power reeds installed...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki ... ccessories

Oh hey, I do have one arguably dubious question. Where these "other kdx's" that you've owned all 220's by any chance? :mrgreen:
Willz

Post by Willz »

Juliend... I think that nailed it...... This is getting messy.

LOL... NO... My previous KDX's were 200's... A 93 and 97 if I remember correctly.

I'll ask this yes or no question to make sure I'm on track here...
If I order a set of 607's will they drop right into my factory reed cage. (minus the stops)

That'll wrap it up for me.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

YES! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Willz

Post by Willz »

Alrighty....

Beer is the answer. Think I'll go get one.

Thanks everyone.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Congrats to juliend for finding THE pics that show eggsactly what's going on.

Probably........

Inda has the answer..on a number of levels.

More beer!!!

New reeds are never a bad idea. Just 'cuz they aren't in pieces with frags coming off the edges doesn't mean they are not past their prime.

I still don't don't know if the installed reeds in question are dual or single.

But hey! Nothing a beer won't solve! OR...six different rums with a bit of grenadine!!!

Yeah, buddy!!

Good luck, Willz. You're on the right track!

Thanks for the input, juliend!!

Consider the source