Long lasting chain/sprockets

Got questions? We got answers....
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Long lasting chain/sprockets

Post by SS109 »

I'm starting to notice some wear on my chain and rear sprocket so I figure it is time to start thinking about replacing them.

Anyways, I want a durable, long lasting setup. I don't care about fancy, lightweight, made of unobtainum type stuff. Plain old steel sprockets and chain (non-O ring or X type) are fine if they are durable. I will buy individual components or a kit. Which ever gives me the right setup.

So, what are your suggestions? What are you using and how long has it lasted for you?
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Z-Sprocket.... best sprocket I have ever had.... cheapest too!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I don't use anything but Renthal CSS....because they are superior to any other I've tried.

Everyone has their own 'favorite' when it comes to chains. Mine happens to be an RK. Honestly, I don't recall it being an XSO,GXW, or what. It is NOT a gold chain.

They're good for two years. I ride more weekends than not. Not EVERY one of 'em, but most, average maybe 30 miles or so a ride. 'Good for...' does NOT mean windswept teeth with 1/2 of 'em chipped off and a chain with enough slop in it to wrap it around a chain roller. It is still within adjustment spec at 108-links, distance of 'pull' at the back of the rear sprocket is within acceptable (of general note) limits.

I never have actually checked a chain for wear by measuring extended/compressed length to see if it exceeds the recommended % of change.
Last edited by canyncarvr on 03:46 pm Jan 04 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Flip side of that

I'm running JT sprockets front and rear and a $29 EK non o-ring chain

I'll get a season outa the chain
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I like the OEM front sprocket and the Z-Sprocket. A good quality (DID, RK) 0-ring chain and I'm good for 18 months, no lubing, no cleaning.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I will only use a Renthal on the front. Fit is very very important there and the cheaper ones tend to have more play in them.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Is the Renthal part a better fit than the OEM?

I've not noticed any wear, haven't looked either, but it would be good to know if Renthal is the way to go.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

>|<>QBB<
KarlP wrote:Is the Renthal part a better fit than the OEM?
I don't know the answer to that. I have never bought an OEM sprocket. CS or rear. An OEM is available ONLY in a 13T flavor...at $24 (as noted on the RonAyers site...'H' model.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

>|<>QBB<
KarlP wrote:Is the Renthal part a better fit than the OEM?

I've not noticed any wear, haven't looked either, but it would be good to know if Renthal is the way to go.
The Renthal CS fits better than any other that I have tried, less play on the splines of the shaft. There was a post awhile back about some weird shaft wear that convinced me to switch (thanks Inda) to the renthal and save a lot of possible trouble down the line. Beside, they were not that much more expensive than the cheapo i used to get.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I think I will check out the Renthal CSS. I definately don't want to create any problems so if it fits better then that is the way I'll go.

BTW, how good are their Twin Ring rear sprockets? Are the Renthals and Z-Sprockets that much better than a JT?

Thanks for all the input.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Here's my JT, been on since Oct. '08

Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS