220 piston exploding???

Got questions? We got answers....
eroc198

220 piston exploding???

Post by eroc198 »

i just got a 1998 kdx 220 and i wanna know of any problematic traits of this year and model bike. I have been reading alot about the 220 pistons "exploding" and wanna know what i should worry about. The bike runs fine and makes good power and I believe it is stock. Has anyone else had any problems, let me know! Thanks
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

If the piston is stock, then change it. They are known to have the piston skirt break off. There is no rhyme or reason for it, some cheat death for years and many miles, others end up with a blown top AND bottom end to the tune of many hundreds of dollars. For about $150 you and pretty much bullet proof that motor from anything shy of owner abuse.

Besides, it's a good way to figure out how a KIPS works. A stock 1998 is well past due for a piston change anyways.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Oh, and don't replace it with one from Kawasaki either. Go aftermarket. I used a wiseco. There is much discussion on the preferences of forged vs cast; mainly on how you treat the engine when cold. A forged piston is a little "loose" during warm-up and prone to seizure/sticking until fully warm. But hey! it's all been discussed and should be found using the search.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
eroc198

Post by eroc198 »

ok but i have a few more questions... who else makes pistons for the bike? i do plan on making the bike ALOT faster very soon what part would be the most bang for my buck?And do u know of any companies that make plastics for the bike(i dont care if they are stock or even green for that matter) thx and happy new years!

(please keep in mind the bike is riddin in the muddy swampy areas of south GA.)
bronco95tgp

Post by bronco95tgp »

Hey Eroc
Go read through the posts in the 'RB Carb and Head Q&A' section of the forum and you might find some bang for your buck either there or in an exhaust.

Also read the 'Suspension' section to learn how to make that power controllable. search for things like 'exhaust' and 'reeds' and 'air box lid removal'...

Check the online retailers for your plastics, they aren't hard to find.. Acerbis, UFO, and Maier are a few brand names that come to mind.. Maier makes a motocross style rear fender that makes the KDX ALOT faster if you place stickers just right on it! Might help you outrun the gators in the swamps.

Its amazing how much you can learn on this site by sorting through the posts and reading.. for example the first post that comes up in the General Q&A section is a 'sticky' called "Best of the best mods!" that might be a good place to start!
its a '04 KDX 220 cadillac
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

220?

Don't worry, we 200 riders will stop and wait for ya, while we sip on a lil listerene of course
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Wiseco is pretty much your only option for a forged piston. All the other pistons are just different names for the stock cast piston.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Vertex
Athena
Pro-X
Namura
Mitaka

These are all other piston manufacturers, but I recommend the Wiseco.
Jerry

johnyblaze
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by johnyblaze »

Fortunately, the Wiseco is about the same $$ or a bit less than stock, depending on where you buy.
1998 KDX220 with goodies
2002 KTM LC4E
2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
danfree

Post by danfree »

>|<>QBB<
eroc198 wrote:ok i do plan on making the bike ALOT faster very soon what part would be the most bang for my buck?And do u know of any companies that make plastics for the bike(i dont care if they are stock or even green for that matter) thx and happy new years!

(please keep in mind the bike is riddin in the muddy swampy areas of south GA.)
I have a suggestion. Don't do anything to the bike. Sell it and buy mine. I have a 2005 KDX200 with some goodies on it, but it has plenty of room for performance mods. i.e. stock engine and such. My mods were to make it easy to ride (for me). Plus I live in North Florida, so it may not be too far for possible delivery.
2008 Yam FZ6
2005 KDX 200
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yeah... a 200 is better anyway..... :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

I think all you 200 riders suffer from "Small Piston Syndrome". Why else would you keep yapping at us 220 riders? :butthead:
You don't hear us poking at you do ya? :lol:
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

'cause you know it's true....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

Your jealous cause my piston is bigger (although less reliable) :mrgreen:

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
Brian wrote:I think all you 200 riders suffer from "Small Piston Syndrome". Why else would you keep yapping at us 220 riders? :butthead:
You don't hear us poking at you do ya? :lol:
Can't hear ya cuz we are still waiting for ya to catch up
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

:lol:

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

(although less reliable)
Do they make a pill for that?

Wait...I here'em!!

a-ringy-ding dingya-ringy-ding dingya-ringy-ding dingy

...He's gettin' close!!

KA-!BAM!-A DINGY-DONE-DINGED!!

....Guess he didn't change his piston.........

Les ride!!.......... :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!