Lighting coils from Indawoods

Got questions? We got answers....
Little Jeff

Lighting coils from Indawoods

Post by Little Jeff »

Hi Indawoods, I was just curious if you can still get those lighting coils that you had made a while back? I was thinking about possibly getting one if they are not to pricey. I know I asked you this before, along time ago. Is it a pretty easy install and does it come with detailed instructions? I was thinking about getting a Baja Designs 55 watt halogen headlamp and thought your coil would be perfect for that. Bike is a '2000 KDX200
Thanks again
Little Jeff
Riding with your buddies and an adventure, riding with certain individuals is an ordeal.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yes... it would work just fine with that setup. I have had some issue with getting the 2 I have on order in.

I won't take any more orders until these come in. I ordered 4 so I should have a couple of spares.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Little Jeff

Post by Little Jeff »

How much?
Little Jeff
Riding with your buddies and an adventure, riding with certain individuals is an ordeal.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

They are $140 shipped in the CONUS.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Little Jeff

Post by Little Jeff »

Thank you. I will be in contact with you soon hopefully. With the increased power output (watts?), do you have to replace the voltage regulator or any other parts?
Little Jeff
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Hi! From the 'I'm not Inda and it's none of my business' department...

The VR does not need to be replaced to run the coil. It (the VR) has nothing to do with current regulation or limitation.

Also, it (the VR) does not regulate flux capacitance, neither.

The bike will still be an AC regulated setup.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
river
Supporting Member

Post by river »

What's the output on that bad boy? Is it the highest that can be done?

Any suggestions on a hi/lo beam to work with it for the 200?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I tested mine to 90 watts full draw.... I imagine they are good to 100 watts or maybe a bit more.

It will not behave like DC.... there will be a peak and an idle output. At idle I did not have any reduced output with the stock lighting unlike the stock coil.

On my test.... I had a 55 watt halogen spotlight, my 35 watt headlight and my LED tailight all running at the same time at just above idle with full brightness.
Last edited by Indawoods on 01:05 pm Jan 04 2010, edited 1 time in total.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

It's rated at 100W. Try sucking 9A out of it, though, and you will likely have some voltage oscillation.

Re: 'Is it the highest that can be done?'

Realistically...with one coil. One could make their own multiple-coil setup (like most high-output units use). It would take only poles to wrap wire onto incorporated into the existing stator, and some wire!

Are you familiar with 'lectrix? It's NOT a matter of 'more' does 'better'. There is a tradeoff similar to most every other engine modificaton (ie: Raise the exhaust port for better high RPM performance...and take a hit on the bottom end of things). Larger wire gets you more current capability...more wraps get you more voltage. Obviously those two butt heads. Thicker wire means fewer wraps in a given space. That's just one of the tradeoffs. There are others. Then there's the magnets that make it happen in the first place. Bike A's rotor may not have the flux field strength that bike B has...like someone dropped Bike A's rotor, or smacked it with a hammer getting it off the crank while not using a FW puller.

Somewhere between the two is the best you can get of both (voltage and current). That 'best' may not be enough...but it IS the best you can get.

Re: 'Any suggestions'

Meaning....what? I might say the question is 'dubious', but I don't want to give anyone yet another pantie rash.

The OEM headlight is a dual filament bulb. You could wire in a socket that would handle an either/both situation, and a hi/low switch to suit. BJD sells handlebar mounted switches that do that if you don't want to configure your own setup.

Any other dual-lamp shell could be configured the same way.

In the OEM instance..the filaments are 35W/ea. That and an incandescent taillight is going to get you a good bit of pulsation at idle speeds.

Consider the source

river
Supporting Member

Post by river »

Thanks. So the stock headlight is a hi low bulb but without a hi lo socket? Wonder why they bother putting a dual filament bulb in. Wonder if there is a socket that will fit the KDX reflector. I have a light switch off an XR650L, got it on Ebay.

Sure seems like a lot of room on the stator to put some additional coils.
Inda, do you just rewire the existing coils?
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I wouldn't call it hi/low..just two separate 35W filaments. Not to pick about it...but if you go to the trouble of wiring the OEM bulb in a high/low setup, I don't think you will find one filament illuminating any farther 'ahead' than the other..or the two together for that matter.

I'm sure there IS a socket to fit. It's been awhile since I looked for that style of bulb...I don't recall what the style is. Knowing that, finding a socket shouldn't be a problem.

The coils from Inda are NOT simply rewound. There are more core plates.

Found it.

http://www.fourstrokesonly.com/electrical.html

They say it's an H6M type bulb, base type 'D'.

Sockets, too. Complete with the boot!!!

http://www.fourstrokesonly.com/HeadLightHL.html

How's THAT for service!!

Consider the source

muddertrucker

Post by muddertrucker »

Has anyone tried the last bulb at the bottom.

Is it worth the money

Does it produce more heat ie. enough to melt a plastic lens.
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
Gallery!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Your talking about the blue one?

I hate those things. The spectrum is way too narrow to suit me.

Consider the source

river
Supporting Member

Post by river »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:I wouldn't call it hi/low..just two separate 35W filaments. Not to pick about it...but if you go to the trouble of wiring the OEM bulb in a high/low setup, I don't think you will find one filament illuminating any farther 'ahead' than the other..or the two together for that matter.

I'm sure there IS a socket to fit. It's been awhile since I looked for that style of bulb...I don't recall what the style is. Knowing that, finding a socket shouldn't be a problem.

The coils from Inda are NOT simply rewound. There are more core plates.

Found it.

http://www.fourstrokesonly.com/electrical.html

They say it's an H6M type bulb, base type 'D'.

Sockets, too. Complete with the boot!!!

http://www.fourstrokesonly.com/HeadLightHL.html

How's THAT for service!!
Dang, I'm speechless....thanks! I'm going to get my tag soon, this will help.

Those KDX stators sure are strange after dealing with the XRR stator with radial arms. Wonder why they do it that way, radial arms seem so much more effieicnt.

Good deal on Inda's. I'll get one, when my wallet stops threatening to jump out of the window if I touch it again.

EDIT: actually, the seller didn't know much about what he had (can't believe there are people like that, neither did my XRR seller).
I might already have one, so I need to open it up first. Is there a pic of Inda's anywhere?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

As for the stock headlight setup, it works decently in a hi/low setup. I run mine this way. It's not like a 55/60watt setup but not bad. One element is definately more focused for low usage and the other more wide.

If you want to go on the cheap like I did, it is really simple to make the factory setup hi/lo. The socket already has the spot for it. Just pull the factory plug out far enough and solder a wire lead on to it. Then wire in a hi/lo switch and there you go. Now, I can't remember offhand which is high and which is low but you can figure that out pretty quickly.

Anyways, tt passes the legal requirements here in AZ and saved me a bunch on buying a new headlight assembly, stator rewind, etc.

Side note: My KDX is street legal on a stock stator, modded stock headlight (per above), and stock tail modded to brake/tail with two LED "bulbs".
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Stock on the left.... High Output on the right.

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

river
Supporting Member

Post by river »

Much thanks, Inda.
river
Supporting Member

Post by river »

Didya ever think your avatar looks like Edward G. Robinson?
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'Those KDX stators sure are strange after dealing with the XRR stator with radial arms. Wonder why they do it that way, radial arms seem so much more effieicnt.

And what does THAT have to do with CHEEEEP!!!????

Re: 'Didya ever think your avatar looks like Edward G. Robinson ?'

:lol:

RE: 'The socket already has the spot for it. Just pull the factory plug out far enough and solder a wire lead on to it.'

I'd forgotten that. Come to think of it (easy to say now) I recall some riders modifying the bub flange (I think) to be able to put it in 'either way.' That was a quick way to get to the 'spare'.

Good call!!

Re: 'Is there a pic of Inda's anywhere?'

If you have a coil that has the number of plates of the left one..and wire that looks like the right one...that's an Electrex coil. They are rated at 65-75W depending on who sold them.

Consider the source

johnyblaze
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by johnyblaze »

OK, it'll run a 55W headlight. Would it run a 21W headlight, LED brake/taillight, LED blinkers and a horn? Only the headlight would be on consistently, the others only as necessary. Is a small (12V, 1.3 Ah) battery required for storage as well?

I'm asking because I'm a neophyte, well troglodyte actually, when it comes to e-stuff and I have no idea of the draw from these other items like blinkers, etc.
1998 KDX220 with goodies
2002 KTM LC4E
2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S