Lighting coils from Indawoods

Got questions? We got answers....
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

If you read it again... it ran a 55 watt AND a 35 watt headlight and a LED tailight all at the same time at slightly above idle with no dimming.... So, I would think that it would run your setup without requiring a battery.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

**I didn't see Inda's post. Still...I don't know what AC controller there is for blinks..and the horn issue remains. A horn SUCKS current. It's a coil of wire wrapped around a pole. Basically your lighting coil in reverse hooked to a diaphragm to move air...beep beep**

You won't be charging any battery without a DC system..and the KDX lighting system is AC.

...and efforts to put a bridge/regulator on the KDX haven't worked out. It takes a heckuva regulator to run 10A DC. Ever seen the diodes in an auto alternator? They be BIG! ...and heat sinked out the wazoo.

A blinker controller (what makes it blink) would also be DC as far as I know. There is an RC (resistive/capacitive circuit..in older ones anyway) that makes the blinks blink. That ain't gonna happen with AC.

I've never hooked up a DC horn to AC to know what would happen. There's a 'make/break' circuit in a DC horn (unless it's a motored horn..like an air horn) that alternately energizes/breaks the coil circuit (your basic cheap diaphragm horn). That kind'a 'alternately' isn't the same as the AC 'alternately'.

The basic bolt-on answer to your question is, no (see below).

You could use something like a rechargable battery (some lithium ion/polymer or even NiCad! thing) to run a horn and blinkers. Just plug your bike in to the battery's wall-wart after a ride.

That would be a whole lot less trouble than turning the bike into DC. That is doable, certainly. Not cheaply. (below) BajaDesigns probably makes a kit for the KDX that would do it.
Last edited by canyncarvr on 11:36 am Jan 11 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yeah... converting to DC blows... tried it... was real disappointed with the results.... even with a battery in the system it sucked way too much juice.

Hence no HID lighting on my bike. :cry:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
johnyblaze
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by johnyblaze »

I didn't know the blinkers would complicate matters so much. Maybe the KDX will stay comfortably offroad and learn to jump into the back of my pickup in order to get there. I was hoping for minimally street legal to avoid the hassle. Looks like loading it is less a hassle than converting it.

Thanks for the info.
1998 KDX220 with goodies
2002 KTM LC4E
2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Please do look into that blinker thing. There may be a simple approach to 'em that would work. I did a quick look on the web for AC flashers...got only 120VAC and 'AC Delco' stuff.

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

In Illinois... blinkers are not required... you know since we have hand signals.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:In Illinois... blinkers are not required... you know since we have hand signals.
Neat! They work as well as smoke signals I guess.

Especially when it's DARK!

But...that's why you have headlights...to see the hand signals of the guy in FRONT of you.

Even the 'You're #1!' signals!!

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

No helmet laws either.... thanks ABATE!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Indawoods,

I'd like to order a coil but I can't sent PM's for some reason. Is there a thread with ordering instructions?
'00 KDX 220R
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Post by bcdonyo »

From another thread:

>|<>QBB<
johnyblaze wrote: I notice you have signals, brakelight, etc installed. There is another recent thread in which there are questions regarding stator wattage and AC to DC rectification for the KDX. I don't mean to hijack this thread - maybe you could comment as to how well your system works.
I bought the bike with the Baja Designs kit installed. I believe the PO said he had the dealer install it. It is the newer kit with the battery, regulator, flasher and horn mounted inside the headlight. I noticed it still uses the factory regulator under the seat, which contradicts what the BD instructions say.

According to the instructions, you should use the driving/parking lamp if you don't have the coil re-wound. I've found this to be true. I put in an LED driving bulb in place of the 5 watt one and the bike has an LED tail light. It charges the little nicad battery quickly, unless you run the 35 watt headlight, which will run bright, but discharges the battery fairly quickly and renders the turn signals usless.

I think the regulator mounted to the headlight is a rectifier, but I'm not sure. In short the kit works real well, and should be great when I get a higher output coil. BD claims they can re-wind the stator to put out 120 watts. I have a set of led turn signals I have yet to install. I don't plan on using the bike for street duty, I have some big thumpers for that, but I like having the plate to ride to and connect trails.

Linky:
http://www.bajadesigns.com/2005%20Web%2 ... lassic.pdf
johnyblaze
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by johnyblaze »

bcdonyo - thanks for the info. Looks like I'll be adding a rectifier to the DS kit I've been assembling. I'll also need one if Indawoods' high power lighting coils to make it all happen.

I'm with you - I'm not trying to DS my KDX... I have an LC4E and a TE610 for that. Just hate to trailer a bike every time I wanna hit the trails.
1998 KDX220 with goodies
2002 KTM LC4E
2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You can send a $70 deposit to hengstberger at hotmail.com to get one ordered.

Let it be known that I am still waiting on my last order.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

>|QBB<[/url]
johnyblaze wrote:I'm with you - I'm not trying to DS my KDX... I have an LC4E and a TE610 for that. Just hate to trailer a bike every time I wanna hit the trails.
If you want bare bones street legal and your state does not require turn signals, it is really easy to do with the stock lighting coil.

The headlight mod I mentioned earlier gets you through the "must have high and low beams" requirement. This is how my bike is wired and it has been working perfectly for me.

I ordered the brake light switch and an AC/DC horn from FRP. Unlike the diagram I used two 1157 type LED "bulbs" for the tail/brake light as one just wasn't bright enough. My hi/low beam and horn switch setup is a homemade setup with parts from Radio Shack for under $15. Also, to meet the street legal requirements here in AZ, I added one of the cheap Acerbis mirrors.

All said, I'm very happy with how it works and I love the fact I did it myself on the cheap. I don't do night riding on the trails but the lighting has been more than fine for street use at the speeds I ride (under 45mph).
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Post by bcdonyo »

If you're just looking to get "barely legal" in lenient states like Az. LEDs are your friend. They require very little power and are extremely durable. My street tarded Husky has a pathetically low output stator, so I run an small Acerbis LED tail/brake light
and an LED H-4 headlight bulb from Superbright LEDs.
.Image
The headlight is useless for night riding, but bright enough for daytime street trips.

If you have an 1157 tail light they make a good 3 watt Luxeon one that is much brighter than the standard "cluster" type 1157 LED. I use one in my Berg with good results.
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/ ... 2F1157.htm

I do have a coil on order from Inda for my KDX, not to power my DS kit, but because I want to have a decent bright headlight for night riding.

I just put a Baja Designs 35 watt headlight on the girls TTR230. It's the exact same light and bulb as the one on my KDX but it is more than twice as bright on her bike because it's stator puts out more than the light draws and it has a proper full size battery for the e-start.
swatts

Post by swatts »

Late to the post, but my riding buddy says we should be thinking of night riding. Are there any more of these left? I realize I have to prepay, and then the kicker, ship them to Canada?
Thanks,
Scott
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

>|<>QBB<
swatts wrote:Late to the post, but my riding buddy says we should be thinking of night riding. Are there any more of these left? I realize I have to prepay, and then the kicker, ship them to Canada?
Thanks,
Scott
For strictly night riding maybe consider one of these

http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?mai ... rers_id=22

I use it for MTB and it is very bright. Brighter than my KDX headlight.