Newbie Top End -- questions

Got questions? We got answers....
JHNguyen89

Newbie Top End -- questions

Post by JHNguyen89 »

Just finished replacing my stock piston with a Wiseco Piston. I bought the cyclepedia manual and used those instructions. It seemed straight forward for the most part, but then this is my first time working on any sort of engine on my own.

One thing that I just want to make sure is that the arrow on the piston, it supposed to point towards the exhaust port in the cylinder? Or in other words, the opposite side of the reeds?

Secondly, I just finished putting everything back together and haven't gotten a chance to ride the KDX yet, though, I did turn it on to make sure it would even start. While I only had it on for about a minute, I did notice it was very smokey. Is this a bad sign?

Thanks in advance..
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

as far as i know, arrow pointing to the exhaust port.
the smoke i don't think it's a big deal since you only ran it for just a min but i'm sure others will chime in.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

hopefully you lubed the new parts with pre-mix oil as you put them in, and this would account for the smoke. And yes the arrow points to the exhaust port.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
bronco95tgp

Post by bronco95tgp »

I read somewhere on the site where Inda said to use a non-synthetic oil and ride it like you stole it after a rebuild. Is that right Inda?

I have a Wiseco piston and a gasket set sitting here waiting on me to get over the flu. Tis the season for top end's! Funny how many posts there are this week on the subject.
its a '04 KDX 220 cadillac
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yup.... After the rings seat... switch back to full synthetic.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Especially with a wiseco....but in all cases, ride it like you stole it AFTER it's FULLY warmed up.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

3 heat cycles for me
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS