KDX220 vs. KX250

Got questions? We got answers....
Jim B

KDX220 vs. KX250

Post by Jim B »

I need help making a decision. First, a little background: I bought a '97 KDX220 last August after being out of dirt biking for many years. The bike was/is in good shape with a few mods (ported, carb bored 1mm., Pro Circuit pipe and silencer). Since I bought the bike I've put in a new top end (replated and a new Wiseco piston), installed new tires and wheel bearings, etc. The KDX is great and really a lot of fun. It could have a little more top end power, however.

A few days ago, I bought a '98 KX250 with a bad crank. The bike needs the cylinder replated/new piston & rings and a new crank. Other than that, it's in decent shape. I'm trying to decide whether to fix the KX or sell it. I figure I'd have about $1,300 into the KX by the time I got it into really good condition. For this amount of money, I'm confident I could do a really nice job of refurbishing the KX - new wheel bearings, tires, chain & sprockets, etc. I'd probably be able to have the forks and shock rebuilt with going too far over budget.

My question is this: how much more performance will the KX have vs. the KDX? I've got an ancient ('84) CR250 as a backup bike and it's got quite a bit more top end power than the KDX. I'd imagine the '98 KX would be a big improvement in power, brakes and suspension over the old CR. I'm not broke, but I'm not rolling in dough, either. I need to figure out if having a 250 MX bike (in addition to the KDX) is worth the $1,300+. Either way, I'm definitely keeping the KDX. Any help/advice is much-appreciated! :grin:
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I've had both bikes; a 1996 KDX220 and a 2002 KX250. I had the KDX220 first and fully tricked it out with just about everything; AirStryker RB modded carb, KX forks, RB milled head, FWW, auto clutch, 20" front rim, oversized front brake, you name it, I did it. The 2002 KX250 was given an auto clutch and jetted correctly. Everything else was left stock. I lost both in a fire. I have since gotten another 2002 KX250. So, that says something.

Without down rating the KDX220 in any way, the simple fact is, the KX for this year, 2002, is a grunt low rpm ported bike that works well in the woods. In the wrong hands, it will flat scare, if not hurt you. 4th gear power wheelies are easy.

But........
Depending on the rider ability and level of dedication to performance, I can't really recommend one over the other. If, for example, the rider is a single track, technical rider, the KDX would be much easier to ride. On the other hand, if the rider is an adrenalin junkie or too lazy to milk every ounce they could out of a KDX220, then the KX fills the bill.

I'm pretty lazy and I'm really happy with the stock KX250 performance. Keep in mind, each year of the 99-02 series of KX's was set up different than the other. Read up on this and know what to expect from your version.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

I have two KDX 220's with different mods and I also have a 99 KX 250 that I have had since it was nearly new. The 99 is nearly identical to the 98 KX. The 250 had been my only ride for several years and I ride it in the woods and the track.

The low end grunt of that era KX makes it very adaptable for woods riding. The transmission has a close ratio 5-speed that is not the best for woods riding. 1st can be a little tall for tight conditions and 5th can be a little short for some open areas. The suspension is fairly stiff on rocky trails when set up properly for the track and can make your wrists sore after a day of rocky terrain. I've added a flywheel weight to mine to make it a little more luggable in tight situations. I've had to slip the clutch a lot in tight slippery terrain. The KX is not easy to ride in the rocky/muddy trails we have around here in the spring and fall.

One of my 220's has the RB carb/head combo with the rev pipe. It is awsome in any trail contition and is snappy enough (CEK) for the track although the suspension is much too soft. The 220 has a much lower 1st gear which is nice when things get real slow and nasty and it has a much taller 6th gear for when things open up. The soft suspension is so much more comfortable when the ground is rocky.

In my opinion I'd keep them both (just like I did). Use the KX for the track and high speed trails and the KDX for slower, rougher rides (and/or your loaner bike).
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Good comparison Brian.

I almost forget the first gear issue with my auto clutch. I'm almost sure the 98 has a lower 1st, I recall a friend of mine over on Thumper Talk who took the 1st and 6th out of a 98 and put them in a 2002.

So, research on TT and you should be able to get lots of info.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Guys,

Thanks very much for the replies!

I think the solution may be to sell the old CR250 and use the proceeds to fund (at least some of) the repairs to the KX. I'd really like to get the KX going - I'd bet it's a beast when running properly. :supz:

-Jim
gregp

Post by gregp »

I have had many bikes. I had a 1994 CR250, which was an incredible bike. I ended up going back to a KDX, because, over time, I missed the small things that are standard on the KDX - kickstand, lights, 6 speed transmission, etc.. I never could get the CR forks to work well in the woods.