kdx220 vs ktm 200

Got questions? We got answers....
Byte

kdx220 vs ktm 200

Post by Byte »

Hi all.

I want to know what the rider misses out on when he/she choses to ride a modified kdx220 (with fmf desert pipe & powercore silencer, 38mm carb) over the stock ktm 200 ('10).

I understand the ktm is lighter, punchier, different ergonomics and better front end. These are big differences I know..

But, for the average rider who does not race and does trail, what am I missing out on while riding a modifed kdx220 as opposed to the stock '10 ktm 200?

Byte
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

the KTM is a nice bike. I obviously prefer the KDX. I have a good deal of seat time on a 200 exc, and a couple rides on the 200 xcw. Great bikes, for sure. Much more twitchy though, both with throttle and suspension. Gobs of power, but not nearly as controllable as the KDX. I have a good time on the KTM's, but I'm always happy to see my KDX when we swap back. The KTM is snappier, for sure. I'd need to do plenty of suspension work before I felt comfy on one though. And that friggen seat... UGH. I'd like to find whoever designed that and smack them in the ass a few hundred times with a 2x4 to see how they like it!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

KTM's are made for standing. Even the big Adventure bikes

Chuck Steahly still rides a KTM 200. He's a great rider. His bike seems to have every bit as much controllable lowend grunt as any KDX I've seen
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Byte

Post by Byte »

some great posts - intersting to note that the kdx is deemed more controllable and more suited for sitting.

byte
muddertrucker

Post by muddertrucker »

The suspension on the new ktm's is supposed to be awsome. My friends 06 400 suspension is better then my kx forks by far and they have improved alot since then, from what I hear.
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
Gallery!
zz3gmc

Post by zz3gmc »

>|<>QBB<
muddertrucker wrote:The suspension on the new ktm's is supposed to be awsome. My friends 06 400 suspension is better then my kx forks by far and they have improved alot since then, from what I hear.
Did you have the forks resprung and revalved? A standard KX fork with MX valving will never be as compliant as a purpose built, enduro oriented KTM400. It will feel unbalanced if the forks have the standard mx valving with the offroad valving of the KDX shock. My KX forks are revalved for offroad use and are every bit as good as the Euro stuff that I have had a chance to ride.
NewMexico505

Post by NewMexico505 »

This is a KDX website, of course your going to get most answers saying they prefer the KDX. Go to a KTM site or thumpertalk and ask the same question, I bet you will get a different tone in the answers.

I have a KDX right now, my next bike will be a KTM.
Byte

Post by Byte »

thanks boys.

NewMexico - If I am going to get biased answers whereever I post this thread, where do u suggest I ask this question then......?

People understand this dilemma and answer as honestly and evenly as they can - as you have seen in this thread already.

Byte
johnyblaze
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by johnyblaze »

You'll have to go to a YZ/WR forum. They'll be equally bised against both the KDX and KTM....
1998 KDX220 with goodies
2002 KTM LC4E
2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
Byte

Post by Byte »

therein lies the point...
NewMexico505

Post by NewMexico505 »

Byte - yea your right, other forums will sway the other way. Probably what is happening is you may have already made up your mind, and just want a little support. No problem. But back to your question, you need to weigh the benefits of a KDX vs. KTM. If saving money and getting a fun bike for the money, the KDX. If you want a bike you can race and is 15 years newer, the KTM. So spend $1800 or spend $7000+..it really depends on you.

Good luck..post what you finally buy.
Byte

Post by Byte »

no worries New Mexico.

I keep asking myself whether i should be continuing to lay money into my kdx220 or lay a deposit down for a new ktm 200.

i already have a 09 ktm 300 and the kdx220 (for play and loan bike).

i gotta say the kdx is friendly and great to kick back on wo gettign too psyched up as i do on my ktm 300. from what i have read on the ktm 200 it is great too..

Byte
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Seems you can answer the question as well or better than a lot of the people your askin. You have a 300 already. The 200 is quite similar. It seems to me that your main issue is that the 220 is older, and is needing some work due to improper maintenance over it's life. Eventually that 300 will start giving you problems, and those problems are almost certainly going to be more expensive to correct than they are on the 220. The KDX well maintained is an extremely reliable bike. More so IMO than the KTM. Parts are readily available and cheap.

If you can afford a new bike every 2 years, then good for you! If you can't, then expect to have to spend time and money keeping things working right. It's just part of the game.
muddertrucker

Post by muddertrucker »

Most ktm from the same group of years share part number for stuff like plastics, switches kickstartera and even gaskets and and cases making it easy and fast to get parts. Go to a kawi dealer and ask for a part from a kdx and see how long it takes to get it.

I bought my kdx from the ktm dealer and get great service from there, garantie you than my next bike if i ever buy one will be a ktm.

The kdx was built with trail riding in mind wich is what most of us here do with it. Wich company still makes a 2 stroke trail bike...not very many.

Yes my kx forks where tuned for trail riding....by me, it might not be the best set up but it works well for me. Still not as good as anew ktm suspension.

If it were me that had an 09 300 id keep the 220 or trade both in for a 250 gasgas or ktm. But it's not me. :mrgreen:

Wich ever bike you have just have fun, and i'm sure you will.
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
Gallery!
Byte

Post by Byte »

Thanks guys.

Yes, i plan to keep both rides - both have a special place in my garage.

You have cleared up some nagging conerns I had with the kdx220 and the follow up costs I had to outlay after picking this thing up early last year in a poor condition but great price.

Byte