Scott's Stabilizer with KX Fork Conversion

Got questions? We got answers....
SteveWR450f

Post by SteveWR450f »

I would suggest you call Billet Racing - on the web BRP. BRP makes the clamps that Scotts sells.

I have KXF forks and triple clamp with submount. So yes, it can be done just not certain with your forks. In my unscientific approach, my first set of forks were 03 KX 125 forks. I later found that they fit perfectly into KXF 250 clamps. The result was that I was able to use a submount top triple clamp. My point is that find out diameter of the forks you are using and maybe it might be the same for a more current fork that they make a clamp for.

I know its possible. I have 2 KDXs that both have submounted Scotts on them. Its a great setup. When you crash, your head does not smack the stabilizer.
WR sold. Now have 03 and 04 KDX 220s.
KXF 250 forks. RB Carb and Head. FMF rev pipe. Long live the KDX !!!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

>|<>QBB<
canuckhybrid125 wrote:Any reason you guys arent considering the WER ? Its almost half the price.
Checked that pricing recently?

I've got a WER.

I've ridden a couple of Scott's equipped bikes.

Hence...I wanna Scott's. :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

>|<>QBB<
SteveWR450f wrote:I would suggest you call Billet Racing - on the web BRP. BRP makes the clamps that Scotts sells.

I have KXF forks and triple clamp with submount. So yes, it can be done just not certain with your forks. In my unscientific approach, my first set of forks were 03 KX 125 forks. I later found that they fit perfectly into KXF 250 clamps. The result was that I was able to use a submount top triple clamp. My point is that find out diameter of the forks you are using and maybe it might be the same for a more current fork that they make a clamp for.

I know its possible. I have 2 KDXs that both have submounted Scotts on them. Its a great setup. When you crash, your head does not smack the stabilizer.
YES! that is where I got mine. They needed dimensions and I gave them to these guys. They even sent me a drawing so I could just fill in the blanks for dimensions. Worked great!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

>|<>QBB<
canuckhybrid125 wrote:Any reason you guys arent considering the WER ? Its almost half the price.
I just figured Scott's are the best... just like how KTMs are the best bikes out there. :roll:

Hey Mike, I asked Scott's if this would require an "upside-down" mount and got this reply:

We can mount the damper either way. If you would like it reversed please specify that when you place the order. If you do not care don’t say anything and we will send it out in the standard forward position.

wtf?

And skipro, you are right, the space between the tank and head tube is tight, really tight.

This is turning out to be a little R&D project.

I'm gonna try to land the damper on ebay for half price and start from there. There are quite a few between $150 and $250 right now.
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

>|<>QBB<
SteveWR450f wrote:I would suggest you call Billet Racing - on the web BRP. BRP makes the clamps that Scotts sells.

Oversized bars right? And what bolt on tower was used? The KDX model?

---edit---
Both the KX250F and KX 125 are 48mm forks. But I have to believe that the triples are not the same. I would have to redo my conversion to kx250F triples in order to accomodate your set up, right?
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

As I recall, the reason mine is upside down is so it wouldn't cover my TrailTech enduro compooter.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

>|<>QBB<
Colorado Mike wrote:As I recall, the reason mine is upside down is so it wouldn't cover my TrailTech enduro compooter.
ahhh
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Mine too....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

That little arm mounted to the body of the Scotts is reversed on an upside down one so the arm is more over the body of the damper instead of hanging out there to reach the stem. Also, there are two types of arms; one is bent a bit in a "Z" like shape so it steps down a bit and closer to the tower, the other is just flat. The flat one is used on street bikes mostly since their bar clamps are usually lower than those on dirt bikes.

One more thing; a street version of the Scotts does NOT have an undampend zone just left and right of center as a dirt bike Scotts does. That is right; a dirt bike version of the Scotts allows for a little wiggle of the bars before damping. A street bike Scotts does not. I spoke with the Scotts folks about this and a really smart sounding guy told me that he had better results off road with a street Scotts than with a dirt bike Scotts. I got a street version off eBay for a much cheaper price than a dirt version. The Scotts tech walked me through how to adjust a street version for dirtbike use. I kept all that stuff, but, alas it too was all lost in the fire.

I know this just confuses more, but it's all info you might find useful if you are anal about understanding stuff like I am.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

On another note....

If you want a plate made for a low mount... why not make it yourself?

I like having control on the fly myself and my Scott's fits neatly between the bars out of the way. I would have a hell of a time bashing my skull on it before the bars.... but I am still using old school 7/8" bars with a crossbar.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canuckhybrid125
Supporting Member

Post by canuckhybrid125 »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:>|<>QBB<
Checked that pricing recently?

I've got a WER.

I've ridden a couple of Scott's equipped bikes.

Hence...I wanna Scott's. :wink:
Last time I checked a scotts undermount like the wer cost over $700.Looks like they only make a top mount for the Kx which is $430
It Is What It Is

2000 KX KDX Hybrid
2006 KX 100
2004 TTR 125 LE
2010 KTM 300
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'One more thing...'

It was my understanding that a streets Scotts does not damp TO center. A dirtbike Scotts does damp TO center.

Both damp FROM center.

Confirm or deny.

Also..Scotts can change either to the other.

Re: 'Checked that pricing recently?'

WER prices have gone up a good bit fairly recently. Since I before-last looked at 'em anyway. I wasn't disputing the 'WERs cost less' idea. It's just that they don't cost as MUCH less as they used to.

Consider the source

canuckhybrid125
Supporting Member

Post by canuckhybrid125 »

CC would you consider a top mount? They just look so big and bulky,but the price is right.
It Is What It Is

2000 KX KDX Hybrid
2006 KX 100
2004 TTR 125 LE
2010 KTM 300
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I don't like the idea of the thing sitting there in my face.

It wouldn't fit without buying new bars...and I like the bars I HAVE. They have been very very good to me.

I have the point of view that the closer the points of deflection and defraction can be..the better.

I don't want to fuss with welding the stem to my steering tube (taking the bearings out, fussing with it).

Have you seen how much those stems flex!?

:hmm:

I think I've just re-convinced myself that the answer to your question is (still) 'No.'

Consider the source

Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

skipro3 wrote: One more thing; a street version of the Scotts does NOT have an undampend zone just left and right of center as a dirt bike Scotts does. That is right; a dirt bike version of the Scotts allows for a little wiggle of the bars before damping. A street bike Scotts does not. I spoke with the Scotts folks about this and a really smart sounding guy told me that he had better results off road with a street Scotts than with a dirt bike Scotts. I got a street version off eBay for a much cheaper price than a dirt version. The Scotts tech walked me through how to adjust a street version for dirtbike use. I kept all that stuff, but, alas it too was all lost in the fire.

I know this just confuses more, but it's all info you might find useful if you are anal about understanding stuff like I am.
Here's what my Scott rep said about this:

"Not really, if you had a road damper and wanted to put it on you off road bike. I would not tell you to buy a new one if you did not want to. However starting from scratch I would highly recommend buying an off road damper. As we found in off road applications that the free return to center caused less rider fatigue than the return to center dampers and also allowed for faster turning of the bike. p.s. stop listening to crazy people."

I almost fell off my chair! :lol:

---edit---
skipro, I didnt sell you out to the guy! nor did I send the bacon picture. I merely emailed him and told him "someone mentioned the street... yadda yadda yadda."
Last edited by Varmint on 09:20 pm Dec 22 2009, edited 1 time in total.
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

:lol: Oh Boy!

CC... regardless of your hypothesis.... My dampener works great and I do not notice and flex nor would you I imagine.... besides it's nice to adjust on the fly. :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

OK. So with some more research and a call to BRP (http://www.brpmoto.com) we were able to configure a weld on submount solution.

After some computer look ups, the BRP rep was able to find some custom triples they developed for Team Green specifically for the 2002 KX125 :hmm: Here they are:

They then had fat bar clamps that would accommodate the submount set up and to preserve the height I liked he suggested rubber mounts. The tower pin would be the standard height weld on model (not the extra tall version)

It sounded like the perfect solution

9013P3 SUB Mount and Bar Clamps
Standard Weld on Tower (to accommodate the additional height of your set up)
Scotts Stabilizer with reversed stepped link arm
BRP Rubber Mounted Olive Color Triple clamp for 2002 KX 125
Studs and Bushings
Price: 569.95 :shock:

Hard pill to swallow. That's almost half the price of the bike! Well, half the price of what my wife thinks I paid for the bike.

So I think my ultimately modded KDX will have to remain a little less ultimate. Unless I start looking all the cheaper options folks have suggested, my thinking being, something is better than nothing. :hmm:
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Well.... Unless your a die hard woods racer or taking triples.... I think a good set of 7/8" bars are more than good enough for the KDX. I have had mine on for more than 5 years without any problems what so ever. I can get pretty aggressive in the woods and I rarely crash. If you are prone to dumping your bike allot at high speed, then this may not be a good option for you. Otherwise.... I still feel that the stabilizer is one of the main reasons I do not crash allot... it keeps me on track no matter what.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:Re: 'One more thing...'

It was my understanding that a streets Scotts does not damp TO center. A dirtbike Scotts does damp TO center.

Both damp FROM center.

Confirm or deny.
Well, looks like the dirt version does NOT damp to center and the street damps to center. They both damp FROM center.

And the Scotts guy told me that damping in both directions is good for dirt. Probably depends on how long your ride is. I don't see how it would be fatiguing though; you don't feel anything when riding unless you have it cranked WAY too tight. It's kind of like your seatbelt retracter; Works when you get a hard whack but easy moving stuff allows for very little resistance. Or, like the clickers on your forks or rear shock. Softer hits, and it moves, a hard hit and it definitely restricts movement. The viscosity of oil matters in these cases. See what I'm saying?
Jerry

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Here's a pic of my setup...

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****