New Rider - KDX220

Got questions? We got answers....
JHNguyen89

New Rider - KDX220

Post by JHNguyen89 »

Just bought a KDX220 about 2 weeks ago and am slowly gathering gear to start riding. Haven't ridden it very much besides around the block a few times. It's an 01 KDX220 that I got for $1100. I honestly have no idea if I got whether or not it's a good deal or if I get jipped. Upgrades I've been noted of are VForce3 reeds, Gnarly Pipe, Cycra Bark Busters (not in pic) and some lower gearing.

Though, I've been reading about the piston issues and I've learned that the top end has not been done on the bike. So, I quickly ordered a Wiseco Piston Kit on Ebay and am waiting for it to come at the moment. Is this easy to do on your own, or am I better off finding a shop to have it done for me? I'm new to motorcycles, so I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing.

Also, I've been told I need to purchase a top end gasket kit if I'm replacing the pistons. Is this true?

Image[/img]
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Yes, a top end gasket kit would be good to have on hand. A shop manual would also be a nice addition to your new ride. Changing out the piston is easy so long as you take your time and use the service manual. There's another piston changing thread a few threads down on the first page here.

Good luck, welcome, and congrats! Bike looks in good shape. I'd say you got a pretty good deal on it. You'll want to check wheel bearings and swingarm bearings and such as well.

J.
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

Welcome. Nice bike. I would say you got a pretty good deal. $1100 would be a fair price for it stock and you have some upgrades on it.
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

If you are wise enough to swap the piston on that 220 as a first step, you should be plenty smart enough to do the job. You can download manual from this site. Better yet would be if you could hook up with someone local to you to guide you along on the first replacement. Where are you located? maybe someone is close.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
JHNguyen89

Post by JHNguyen89 »

Thanks for all the help!

I'm located in the Bay Area, California. I actually got the cyclepedia manual the first day I got the bike, so I think I'll give the piston removal/install a go.

Another question I had is about Kouba Links. Are their any disadvantages when installing them? Does it ruin the geometry of the bike? I'm 5'6" and feel OK on my tippy toes. But then again, I'm new, so everything is going to feel weird. Do you think Kouba Links are worth it for my height?
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I'm not much taller than you and do fine without them, but then again, I've been riding bikes for nearly 40 years. Many people love the longer links. I say if the height makes you uneasy, put them on. Save the originals, and swap them back later if you like. Once you get the piston swapped, change the fork oil, and (maybe) swap the springs for your weight, lube all the bearings in the rear suspension and your steering head. Then ride. You might find the jetting needs attention, but when you're new, performance is less important. Get comfortable with the bike before making any major changes, because what feels good at low beginner speeds will feel very much less good (even dangerous) at higher speeds. I'm talking about suspension and handling here.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Pistons? There is only one...right? :wink:

The point is to NOT touch with your feet. It's called 'dabbing'. It's a habit that is much easier learned if it's easy to touch.

Don't learn it..then you won't have to break it.

Every time you 'touch', you unload the suspension to some extent. Considering you found a need to extend your leg in the first place, you are likely in a situation where your suspension needs to HELP you..and that won't happen nearly as effectively when you're interfering with it with your leg(s).

Do I get my feet on the ground when I shouldn't? Absolutely. That doesn't make it less a bad habit.

Besides that...putting your feet on the ground while riding is an excellent way to break something. You will get your boot buckle hung up on a rock or a piece of vegetation and end up with your knee completely dislocated. Or..if you have WEIGHT on that dabbing leg, the unloaded suspension will react poorly, the bike will twist from underneath you..and you will TWIST your knee.

There is an old saying in dirtbiking. When you get in a bad way:

1. More throttle will save you 90% of the time.
2. Brakes will save you 5% of the time.
3. The other 5% of the time, you're going to be toast anyway.

I'm short. My inseam came from a much shorter person. I DO have Devol pull rods on my bike..put them on years ago. I haven't changed them to the OEM length (they are adjustable) for no particular reason. I suppose I should. My seat height is less than 1/2" lower than stock.

'Dabbing' is bad. I would encourage you to keep the stock link length. NOT being able to 'easily' touch and not developing the habit will make you a better rider.

You won't have a problem with the piston r/r..as said..if you have the sense to replace the thing..and have the sense to even get a MANUAL..you have the sense to figger it out. It's not a hugely difficult task.

Ask any question you have, someone here will help you out. The on-line manual is very good by all reports. I'm sure it's mentioned in there..I think I've seen pics from the on-line manual posted here...but DO be sure to support the KIPS governor shaft (the one coming up from the engine cover) when the LHT!! nut on top is wrenched. There is a FLAT on the shaft that is there exactly for that pupose. Use it.

A top-end gasket set is absolutely required. Do not reuse the gaskets..even if they 'look' good to you. The kit comes with a lot of stuff you probably won't need..keep 'em for a possible later use.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

Welcome to the sire and congrats on the bike!!!

$1,100 does sound like a pretty good deal :supz:
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
Fork Swap - 99 KX125 Valved for B woods plush
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged