Constructing Damper Rod Holder

Got questions? We got answers....
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Constructing Damper Rod Holder

Post by KDX220PHIL »

Does anybody know what the maximum outside diameter and the minimum inside diameter of the Damper Rod Tool must be? I am a machinist and planning on making one, howerver I do not have the suggested size tubing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Here's the Green print on it... gives the measurements if critical

http://kdx.woodsrider.net/viewtopic.php?t=40
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

Yeah, I noticed the drawing but it does not mention anything about the max's and min's. I was wondering if it might be possible to use 1 1/8" Outer Diameter, with a 1" Inner Diameter. Is the Inner bore necessary? Or could it be solid stock? I am not sure exactly how the tool works, I have never used one before , but I plan on changing my fork springs soon and would like to have this tool ready. If anybody knows of other tube or stock sizes please reply.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

As long as the tool can screw onto the rod and hold it and is longer than the springs... that's all that is required. The tool could be solid but you must have enough room to screw the nut onto the shaft.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

Do you now if there are any links that outline the procedure, with the use of the tool?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Depending on what you are doing with the tool.... Pumping air out, holding the rod up while assembly. It is really all pretty much self explanitory if you have a manual.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

Ok, I have ordered the manual already and it should be here in a few days. Thanks a bunch for your info.
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Other tool

Post by Mark W »

easist thing I ofund that works is to find some tubing that has a slightly smaller id than the threaded rod. Pulll the damping rod out as far as it will go and then put this tube over the end of the rod, Does the same thing as the tool but a lot cheaper.

Since you don't need to have much pressure to hold the damping rod "out" you really don't need that strong of a tool.

Mark
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

KDX220PHIL, which tool are you wanting to make, the tool to disassemble the forks or the tool to hold the damper rod?? It sounds like you were talking about one, then switched to talking about another one.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

Are there two special tools required for the disassebly/assembly of the front suspension? I was refering to the damper rod holder that is outlined in the "greenprint". If there is another special tool required, can you give me some info on how it works, what it is for? As it stands I will be using a piece of solid stainless steel and milling the 27mm hex on one end. Should work excellent and last a life time.
Thanks.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

The tool in the diagram is not for holding the damper rod. It is to keep the cartridge from spinning during removal of the base valve assembly (compression adjuster assembly). If you are only changing the fork springs, then you do not need this tool. The tool is just for when you want to remove the base valve assembly (compression asjuster assembly), which is required before removing the damper rod and to separate the inner and outer fork tubes.

The tool in the diagram MUST be hollow, as it fits over the damper rod, which is 10mm in diameter. The 27mm hex nut fits down in a recess. You may want to put some sort of nut or T handle on top, as to get better leverage when holding the tool. You can check out the tool that Jeff Fredette sells at http://www.frpoffroad.com. I have that tool, and it works great.

The second tool I mentioned was the damper rod puller tool. It is not a requirement, but it is very handy when reinstalling the fork springs. It is a tube thin enough to fit inside the fork springs, and it has a 10mm x 1.0mm nut on the end of the tube. The nut threads down onto the damper rod lightly to use to pull the damper rod up and down.

I hope this helps.
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

Thanks a lot Jason, this is exaclty what I wanted to hear. You have saved me much time. I Will still construct the tool but will fabricate it differently with this new information. Thanks Again.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

No problem. Cartridge forks need to have the oil change more often than the old school damping rod style forks (NOT to be confused with the damper rod part in cartridge forks), so making, buying, borrowing that toll and getting them further disasembled than normal for a better cleaning is very helpful.

Good luck!

Thanks,
Jason