Traction

Got questions? We got answers....
keatron

Traction

Post by keatron »

So I ride alot of tight technical terrain, like were talking tough ****, and Ive owned my kdx 220 for about a month now and really love it, it's low end grunt is amazing and I never feel like I need more power, but ive been stuck in a few situations where I just don't get traction, like on roots and mud, but the buddy I ride with has a 250x and he somehow just putted through alll those sections. I lowered my tire pressure and that seemed to help, but have any of u tried trials tires? And can uu still roost bends with the trials tire?, and for pressure what do u guys run?[/list]
the fear of death only fallows from the fear of life itself, a man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

You can do a search here for trials tire, and you'll come up with plenty of hits I'm sure. It requires some adjustment in riding style for sure. I personally will never go back to a knobby. Seems like at least 90% of the guys who have tried one will say the same thing.

Congrats on the 220 and welcome to the forums!
:partyman:
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

You want traction?

:twisted:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

:supz:
swatts

Post by swatts »

I just got the Pirelli MT43 and love it, it has great traction. You will notice that when you lean over on bermed turns it loses some. Otherwise I think it would be great for the terrain you described you ride. I run 9 psi (210 lbs) and my friend runs 8 psi (180 lbs).
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

A stealhy flywheel weight will help most on slower, slippery stuff IMO. As you probably know, a four stroke hits every other crank revolution making it more tractable than a 2-smoke when traction is poor - but more flywheel weight on a 220 will tend to smooth out the power pulses some, so the rear tire doesn't break traction so easily.

Check out your buddy's tire marks after some light acceleration, you'll see an off-again, on-again break in the traction compared to your bike which will show a constant slight breaking of traction. No matter what brand of tire you use, once the knobs begin to round, snotty rocks and roots are a problem if the engine revs up too much during the tire slipping that will ultimately occur. Trials tires don't make good mud tires IMO, the knobs are too close together and don't throw clay muds off well at all.
Also, make sure your jetting is spot on at low throttle settings so you don't get a non-linear hit as you open it up.
I owned a crf250x, and my 220 with a common dunlop intermediate rear tire works every bit as well in the worst trail conditions - but it takes more throttle control.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Trials tires don't make good mud tires IMO, the knobs are too close together and don't throw clay muds off well at all.
I'm guessing you haven't run one. They clean out better than any knobby I've seen. The knobs being closely spaced along with the flex of the tread patch actually squeezes mud out from between the lugs. IF a trials tire isn't a "good mud tire" (I quite strongly disagree, btw), it isn't because they don't clean out as well.

J.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Also the thin profile tends to pull the tire down to solid ground. :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Juliend, I have tried a trials tire, but...where I ride the clay is very slick sticky stuff - you notice I limited my discussion to clay-type mud only- as I never tried a trials tire elsewhere.

Inda, I've noticed that smaller profile tires do work better, as you noted - especially with the KDX's. :supz:
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
keatron

Post by keatron »

Okay thanks for all the help, on a side note I road the 250x it felt like a slug In the bush, but f#ck he is fast on it!
the fear of death only fallows from the fear of life itself, a man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

There's a big difference between a machine that puts out a power pulse every 720º and one that has one every 360º...and when traction is minimal, that difference shows up big time!

Pressure? I was runing 6psi in my Michelin trials tire when I first put it on..the last several rides have been at 4psi.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:There's a big difference between a machine that puts out a power pulse every 720º and one that has one every 360º...and when traction is minimal, that difference shows up big time!

Pressure? I was runing 6psi in my Michelin trials tire when I first put it on..the last several rides have been at 4psi.
Now your talking real trials type tire pressure. Trail bike guys I use to know always were in the 3 1/2 to 5 psig range. When we tried trial tires a few years ago I did drop the tires down to ~5 psig a few times but banged the rim way too often.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Geez....I said it was a trials tire. :snooty: I wuz just answearing the question, '..whut do u guyz run?'

I don't hit the rim too much..but that has to do with being old, infirm, and riding absolutely never over 3mph!

.unless I'm thirsty. :partyman:

OK..just kidding. Kids...NEVER drink and ride!!! I meant it!! Don't make me come over there!!

Consider the source

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Hey Wib, put up some photos of us not drinking and riding, O.K.? Do as I say Mr. Carvr?
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Honest it's just Listerene

We likes fresh breath

I like the "Fro" Ski :wink:

http://sendables.jibjab.com/view/zhugXNkWZFGQ2LFU
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Oh my!! :shock: I've got a cute butt!!

Re: 'Do as I say Mr. Carvr?'

I clearly said, 'Kids....'

Not YOU old man....and not me neither. Pay attention.

Consider the source

Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

nice rack too. :blink:

This crap is getting out of hand.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I think this crap has been out of hand for quite some time. Probably the biggest reason this has quickly become my favorite forum.

Anyhoo, to anyone who has not tried a trials tire, you really really should. Not only is the traction incredible, you'll save big bucks by not replacing the rear tire twice a year.
gregp

Post by gregp »

This is the only way I can get any traction now:
Image[/img]
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

What's that exhaust setup all about? I've never seen that before.
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch