Leaking gas problem

Got questions? We got answers....
dirtrider14

Leaking gas problem

Post by dirtrider14 »

On my 92 kdx 200 it leeks non stop me and my dad rebuilt the petcock and it stop for a while but its back again. I’m tired of it leaking for one it waste my gas and two it makes the house smell like gas so if anyone knows what I could do to stop it from leaking? that would be great.
:prayer:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

rebuild it again. If any of the metal parts are worn they will have to be replaced.

My e series petcock leaks also, from the elbow joint that comes out the back of the petcock. I have never understood the design, it kinda sucks. Mine only leaks when the fuel is ON however. Yours continues to leak with the fuel shut off?
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

My '05 carb won't stop dripping. I adjusted the float hieght and replaced the float valve....still dripped.

I finally gave up and put an inline fuel shutoff from the hardware store. No more drip :grin: as lomg as I remember turn turn it off :evil:
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
Fork Swap - 99 KX125 Valved for B woods plush
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Clean the float valve seat..and replace the float valve needle.

The seat is cleaned using a strip of wet-n-dry over a cotton swab tip.

Or...the inline fuel shutoff sounds good...if it fits in the short bit of hose you have.

The KDX petcock has always been picky to shut off. It has to be exactly right..or it will drip.

Disconnect the fuel line from the carb..have something handy to catch the drips...adjust the petcock 'off' position to see if maybe you're just not turning it off.

If the needle/seat is doing its job, how is the petcock being on leaking gas anywhere?

Answer? The needle seat is not doing its job.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Leaking gas problem

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
dirtrider14 wrote:On my 92 kdx 200 it leeks non stop me and my dad rebuilt the petcock and it stop for a while but its back again. I’m tired of it leaking for one it waste my gas and two it makes the house smell like gas so if anyone knows what I could do to stop it from leaking? that would be great.
:prayer:
First of all...

Where's it leaking from? :?
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

RE: 'Where's it leaking from?'

Ha! So...it turns out to be leaking from the bowl plug. Wouldn't that be a hoot.

Fact is, he never mentioned anything 'bout where it was leaking.

'There's a whole lott'a ASSUMIN' goin' on out there.....'

:lol:

Consider the source

dirtrider14

Post by dirtrider14 »

Its leaking from those hose parts on the bottom I don know the name. it like if u crash then the gas leaks out it just like that but on the kickstand
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

OK..out the overflow hose.

Again..it's the function of the carb float needle and seat to keep fuel in the carb at a specific level. The corallary to that is it also keeps fuel OUT of the carb unless the float calls for more. If the float needle/seat is working the way it's supposed to..you could keep the petcock 'on' all the time and nothing would get past them (the needle/seat).

..back to checking the petcock (as mentioned earlier) to make sure you're actually setting it at the 'off' spot. That'll take you five minutes. It's off at 9 o'clock..not 8:59..not 9:01.

Burnishing the float needle seat (the cotton swab part) will take a tad longer.....maybe 10 minutes. :wink:

Consider the source

dirtrider14

Post by dirtrider14 »

ok thxs ill try that out
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote: Or...the inline fuel shutoff sounds good...if it fits in the short bit of hose you have.
Had to trim down line as short as possible to make it fit...
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
Fork Swap - 99 KX125 Valved for B woods plush
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged