SPeaking of grip heaters

Got questions? We got answers....
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

SPeaking of grip heaters

Post by ihatefalling »

read a few posts on grip heaters....think I'll get some. Run'em on the stock stator with the lights off.

Has anyone had any good/bad luck with any brands?

Thx....
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
Fork Swap - 99 KX125 Valved for B woods plush
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

I think if you are gonna run them, then get a bigger stator so you can run the lights if you need to.....
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I would think that makes sense. You get close to winter time, well yeah it gets cold. It also spends more time being dark than light. The chance of being caught out in the dark and REALLY friggen cold is mighty high. Where I live when the sun goes down, the temp drops like a drunk girl's paintys. :partyman:

-7° the other day. Of course the snow and ice stops me from riding anyhow, but in those places where it's clear and just cold, the big wattage would be the ticket.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I've had good luck with Kimpex. They fit under your grips..obviously installing them will require you to replace your grips, too. I've never been able to 'save' a set of grips anyway.

A couple of things learnt that work well for me..that didn't used to...

Get some test lead wire (available at RadioShack) to connect the throttle side. It's very flexible..lasts a whole lot longer than regular stranded wire what with the all the movement going on.

I run it underneath the throttle housing boot to get a good 'approach' to the grip, CW around the front of the throttle tube, make a loop at the connection spot. I put RTV under the wires (except for the loop, 'natch), then wrap it with electrical tape.

Keeps it from coming loose, bunching up with movement, safe during grip removal/installation.

Leave yourself some 'extra' wire somewhere in the setup so you can repair wire when it breaks.

Think about the wiring. In most cases, power to the lights also powers the regulator at the same time...they're connected together. You have to have the regulator in the grip heat circuit, too. If the regulator is connected to the lights............

I use a couple of DPDT center-off switches to run mine. That way I could connect the regulator separately to each circuit (lights or heat).

I have an elementary drawing around somewheres if you have a need for it.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

Yes please! Drawings and or pics would be nice :grin:
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
Fork Swap - 99 KX125 Valved for B woods plush
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I think I got a wired switch from Steahly..heat shrinked and all. I don't see it listed on his website. I'll give him a call if you're interested in one..see if he still carries it. He's local, so I could pick one up and send it to you.

Saved a good bit of time over wiring my own switch...besides I didn't have any heat shrink big enough to fit, either.

Something like this (different ways to do it):

You can use the switch that comes with the Kimpex grip heat kit:

I have the DPDT mounted on the right side of my shell stanchion (UP for HEAT UP)..the SPDT on the left side (UP for HOT!)

If anyone finds a problem with this...let me know. I sure hope not..as uploads (fixes) to Photobucket are painfully[/b] slow.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!