Fork Springs XR 400

Got questions? We got answers....
Tazmanian

Fork Springs XR 400

Post by Tazmanian »

I just purchased XR 400 springs for my 220 KDX. Went to install them this morning to find they sent to different length springs. Called Service Honda they are sending out new ones I'll check the length of the new ones before I tear my bike down next time. Seems to be a simple job to change. Who else is running the xr springs in their bike and are you pleased. I got .38 springs I'm not a very agressive trail rider.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I use the same springs. They are not supposed to be the same length as your stock ones (obviously they are supposed to match each other though). That's why there's all the talk about cutting different preload spacers out of PVC. My XR springs were 513mm long if I recall correctly. Make sure you transfer the little washer-clip thing from the bottom of the old springs to the new ones. For mine I ended up cutting a 1-1/8" spacer out of 1" sched 40 PVC and leaving out the huge Kawasaki metal one. Now I have less spacer and more spring in my forks. They work a lot better now, especially on very rough downhill braking situations.

Good Luck,
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I run Honda XR .38s. I am very pleased with them.

I tried a number of other aftermarket (Eibach I was told) springs for the KDX (470mm long). They all stunk compared to the XR springs.

My XR springs were in the vicinity of 520mm.

Yes, they are supposed to be longer than the oem things you take out.

My preload spacer is only 3-4mm. My preload (not the same as preload SPACER) is about the same.

The springs just soak up little stuff. Maybe an oem spring would, too if they weren't designed to require over 3" of steel tube as a spacer.

If a .38 is the right rate for you, the Honda XR springs are an excellent choice.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!