Dodged a bullet

Got questions? We got answers....
JD

Dodged a bullet

Post by JD »

Might be time for some radiator guards. 3rd gear drop in a rock garden filled with basketball+ size boulders. The only damage was to the front headlight/numberplate background - shredded it pretty good. It was a pretty lucky drop, coulda mangled a radiator big time.
I tried doing a search here on radiator braces, but pretty much every post came up. :neutral:

Who makes the strongest brace for side impact (i.e. dropping it in some rocks) protection? Works Connection or Devol?

And I've got to say that the stock pipe may not be worth much in the performance department, but it sure can take a beating!
mattR

Post by mattR »

Can't say what is "strongest" but I run a combo of Works Connection braces on the sides to prevent bends and MSR guards on the front to prevent penetration. Aluminum all around approach seems bullet proof for the past three years. I think Devol might do both, but get a second opinion.
97 KDX 220
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Works Connections are Braces for side impact support, Devol are guards for front impact. Each does it's specific task. If you don't figure on getting limbs through the front and expect more side drops then Works Braces are what you need. Using both is the best insurance though.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd

Post by Guest »

It looks to me like the devol has both excellent front and side protection. All I would worry about is overheating, especially with the 220 as I hear it overheats easier. I plan on putting this on my KDX when I get it, unless I'm advised otherwise...
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The more... the better...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I have a set of works connection on my 220. The devol's just look like not enough air can get through for my type of riding; tight, technical, and steep.
I have seriously bent up my Works Connection braces though. I can't imagine the radiator even being attached to my bike though, considering the crash they sustained. They weren't easy to straighten back up either. I had my bike loaded onto a trailer that flipped on the highway when taking a corner too fast. They saved my whole bike! The only damage was to the bars, front fender and just a tiny bit on the side plate. Great braces!!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I just ordered the MSR radiator guards... less than $30! Looks like they will have plenty of flow and the protection has got to be better than what's on there now! :wink:

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

I'm running the Works Connection braces on the new KDX 200 but have run Devols on other bikes. Without a doubt the Devol is a stronger set-up than the Works Connection braces.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
mattR

Post by mattR »

I must have got lucky with my 220, even with the front guards and tight NE ST it has only overheated once. But that was after climbing a mile long double black diamond ski hill in VT in August temps. Was worth it!
97 KDX 220
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I recall some riders having problems with Devol BRACES and overheating. Don't have a link to document it.

The Works braces work fine. It takes virtually nothing to tweak the rads. Both of mine are smushed..and that was only a couple of rides..before (great thinking, 'eh?) I put the Works braces on.

I still use the oem rad GUARDS. Maybe riding on borrowed time, but I've not had a problem that called for aftermarket guards yet.

BTW...'Woods of Nebraska'? What kind'a woods are those? ;)

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

My sister had a pair of the devol guards on her 220. They looked nice and strong. I think most of the people that have problems with the aftermarket radiator guards don't put the oem air deflectors back on after the guards. They help direct a _lot_ of air flow over the radiators.

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

You use the word 'guard' and say 'strong'. They may well have been strong, but the will not protect the rads from side impacts.

That's what braces are for.

Braces fit behind the rads, guards fit in front.

I'm sure you know that..but note that JDs post says 'guards' and then 'strongest brace for side impact'. Well, he also mentions looking for braces. Maybe he wants both.

Inda's pic is of guards No side impact help there!

Consider the source

rubrdougie

Post by rubrdougie »

The Devol guards also wrap around the outside edge of the rads and offer excellent side protection.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I've not seen the devol guards up close, but I have found that a hard impact will bend the mounting points for the radiator as well as the radiator itself if not protected. The works connection keeps my radiator from impact damage and the radiator itself from being relocated by re-inforcing the mounting points.

MattR said it best, I think, in his first post on this topic.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

re: 'The Devol guards also wrap around the outside edge of the rads and offer excellent side protection.'

What part of the bike frame do they attach to?

Consider the source

mattR

Post by mattR »

NE was supposed to = New England. Guess I better fix that. :lol:
97 KDX 220
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I kind'a figured that out...but being a $marta$$ is what I do best..and that not well all the time. :sad:

Just funnin' 'ya!

...well, before I read the 'double black..Vermont' comment, I DID think you were referring to Nebraska. I've never done anything in NE but drive straight thru it. There might be a woods there someplace... :wink:
Last edited by canyncarvr on 04:28 pm May 20 2005, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source

Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

they call it woods but it's really corn.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
mattR

Post by mattR »

canyncarvr wrote:I kind'a figured that out...but being a $marta$$ is what I do best..and that not well all the time. :sad:

Just funnin' 'ya!

...well, before I read the 'double black..Vermont' comment, I DID think you were referring to Nebraska. I've never done anything in NE but drive straight thru it. There might be a woods there somplace... :wink:
It's all good fun.

I have a Fredette helmet cam VHS from the Kishawakee(?) enduro. Miles and miles of riding around corn fields with a couple of sections of small trees and a few stream crossings. Very different terrain out in the middle.
97 KDX 220
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

What state is Kishwaukee in?? I have that video too.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128