decarbonizing exhaust pipe....it easy!!

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXsg

decarbonizing exhaust pipe....it easy!!

Post by KDXsg »

Hi all, years ago i use to send my pro circuit pipe to local repair shop to have it decarbonize and they actually cut the pipe open to decarbon and then weld it back. It performed great!! but after which I find it too costly, the backet attaching points are out a bit and i need to leave the pipe at the shop a few days for them to work on it.

I decided to DIY, things you need are a air compressor and a blow torch, a private open area and free of any flameable material around you.
1) using the blow torch, heat into the pipe opening at the exhaust spring side till red hot.
2) By this time the compressor is standing by beside you ready to blow air into the exhaust opening.
3) Till red hot, blow air into the exhaust opening, and you should see the carbon inside the pipe starting to burn by itself and travel up to the unburnt area bit by bit.
4) spark, flame and burnt carbon will start to shoot out from the other end of the exhaust opening.
5) do it till the burning stops. it mean no more carbon left inside.
6) there you have it, pipe decarbon at no cost, no cutting required and you can spray it black using high temperture spray paint or send it for nickel plating.

the key to success, be patient. do it in your free time. Jeryl.
A true KDX customizer!!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Start a fire... throw the pipe in and let it cook is another method.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

Hope to, but its against the law in my home town. haha..
A true KDX customizer!!
nearma12

Post by nearma12 »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Start a fire... throw the pipe in and let it cook is another method.
I have heard that before. I think that is what I am going to try on my pipe. I just have a stocker, so a fresh coat of exhaust paint will make it look good as new afterwards. I would assume most people with after market chrome pipes wouldn't want to go that route.
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

it really is subjective. for me looks is not so important so for my pro circuit pipe after a long time I m left with no choice but to decarbonize it for performance. its just that after which looks do i perfer. just plain black look or have it nikel plate but at a higher cost.

wish you success in your experiment!
A true KDX customizer!!
engybenjy

Post by engybenjy »

Mr Muscle foaming oven cleaner ;)
Gaffa Tape is like the Force. It has a Dark Side, A Light Side and it binds the universe together.
And nothing says bad workmanship like wrinkles in the kidnap tape!!!
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

I just sandblasted mine, all the carbon came flying out, and it ran GREAT after.
'00 KDX 220R
kdxmaniac
Supporting Member

Post by kdxmaniac »

wonder what that yellow smoke will do to your lungs?? :shock:
my bikes
-------------
96 ktm 300
96 XR400R
07 hayabusa
77 kz 1000
85 goldwing 1200