Fixing a cracked plastic headlight etc...its easy!

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXsg

Fixing a cracked plastic headlight etc...its easy!

Post by KDXsg »

Hi to all, I am new to this site. thought maybe I could help someone if in need.
Recently repaired my cracked KDX headlight using a soldering iron and a trashed old original handguard. saved myself USD$90 from getting a new one.
Its simple,
1) clean up area to repair
2) heat up the soldering iron
3) align the cracked area to be repair using aluminium tape on the reverse side
4) just like welding metal, use any trashed plastic of the same kind, melt it using the iron onto the cracked area.
5) This will fused the plastic together into the cracked area
6) after which you can sand it down and put some decal over it to cover.
hope this helps. Jeryl.
A true KDX customizer!!
riggy

Post by riggy »

I just ordered a new headlight damn ! oh well , I will try that trick on my old one though Thanks .
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Or you can stitch it up with safety wire or any small flexible wire. Looks gnarly....but it works. My riding buddies used to call my bike "frankenfender" - I had wired-up plastic everywhere. :cool: I'd rather spend my money on tires and such, I guess.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
NewMexico505

Post by NewMexico505 »

Curious - how long did it last? 2 - 3 rides?
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

The wired plastic lasted forever...or at least until I put new stuff on to sell the bike...LOL.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

actually is what outcome you mind. dirtbike plactic is made from PP or PE
material. they can never be glue together using superglue, JB weld or other expoxy etc...they will just crack when it is flexed. the only way is to weld the plastic together again by fusing (melting) the cracked area and fusing them together again.

But stiching them together using zip tie works really fine but like i mentioned, is what you mind. for myself I want both looks and durability, I have since using the welding method for six mths now and they worked great. no crack on the area weld.

you guys can give it a try, the key thing to sucess is be patient and do it only if you are too free at home..haha..wish you success!! merry X'mas

jeryl
A true KDX customizer!!