Trail tech double counting

Got questions? We got answers....
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Trail tech double counting

Post by Mark W »

Got everything hooked up on the trailtech and the speedo is way off according to the GPS. Amost double what it should be and it is erratic. Figured I had the sensor in the wrong place. When looking real close at the caliper and where the rotor bolt passes by, I can't see how the supplied rotor bolt will pass anywhere near the senso no matter how it is installed on the caliper. What am I missing?

I did use the other supplied magnet and put in on the rotot. Fired up the bike and it matched perfectly with the GPS. I'd rather use the rotor bolt as it looks to be more rugged.

Mark
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

On the KDX... I used the rotor bolt... just have to position and mount the sensor correctly... within a half an inch should work.... mine passed within a quarter inch of the bottom of the sensor when I had it setup on the original frontend. Got a pic of it so I can tell ya what's wrong? :wink:
Last edited by Indawoods on 07:48 pm May 19 2005, edited 1 time in total.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

What is the distance you have set for the front wheel?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I've heard that if you mount the sensor too close to the magnet it will double register. I followed the mounting instructions, and used the rotor bolt. It works fine.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Mark W »

The wheel measurement was 7 inches of rollout which I think equated to 2134 mm.

When I placed the non rotor bolt magnet on the rotor, I got a good speed that was exactly the same as the GPS measured. No matter where I p;ace the sensor, the rotor bolt wil;l never pas through the plane of the sensor - it almost goes through the bottom 1/3 of the length of the sensor - if you know what I mean. The magnet hits the sensor about 1/3 of the way up fromthe bottom and never fully goes "through" the sensor to the other side but just arcs down the whole 1/3. Clear as mud?

Vince are you saying that the magnet can pass below the bottom of the sensor and still register? If this is the case, I can get this one to work. I think.

I'll re-examine it again tomorrow.

Mark
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It doesn't have to pass the sensor... just within the sensor range. Hard to explain without the instructions in front of me.

This should show what I mean...

Don't pay attention to the rotor placement.... just the path!

Don't place the magnet so it passes the center - there is a dead spot in the center. The sensor can pick up the magnet between 1/2" and 3/4" away.

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Finally

Post by Mark W »

got it to work. I passed the magnet by the bottom of the sensor and that works so we will call it good enough.

Mounting one on my kids bike is a handful. The sensor does not mount to the caliper as there is no room. I clamped the sucker to the fork and gorilla glued the magnet to the rotor. I don't think the magnet will work for long as there is less than 1mm clearance between it and the caliper. I don't think a rotor bolt would have enough clearance either. May have to put the magnet in one of the holes in the rotor and glue it in real good.

Another crappy day in MN - rain all day. Weather tomorrow is more of the same. Haven't been on the bike for 3-4 weeks due to constant rain.

Wonder if the Oregon boys are having a good time?

Mark
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

When I used to live in Warshinton, I loved to ride in the rain. No squids, and no dust. Anyway I hope the glue holds. I would try epoxy if it fails. Another thought is if clearance is a problem, is there a way to mount the sensor up near the top of the fork leg and the magnet on the rim? just a thought.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Good to hear Mark... I love mine! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****