Accerbis DHH headlight

Got questions? We got answers....
muddertrucker

Accerbis DHH headlight

Post by muddertrucker »

I'm looking to buy one of these to go with my new upgraded lighting coil.

Any comments on this model are welcome as well as pictures of a white or black ligh of this model as those are the colours I have available.

Thanks
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
Gallery!
muddertrucker

Post by muddertrucker »

anybody?
Gallery!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I think the UFO Twin's is a much better looking light :wink:

Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Post by bcdonyo »

>|QBB<[/url]
Mr. Wibbens wrote:I think the UFO Twin's is a much better looking light :wink:
I have run both the DHH twin and the UFO and prefer the UFO. The Acerbis is bright, but has no cover over the bulbs and the light shines back into your face.

The UFO I have came with two crappy 20 watt flood bulbs on one of my Huskys. It sucked untill I put in some 37 watt Osram spot bulbs. I plan to run it on my KDX when I get my high output coil.

Here's some pics of both (not on a KDX though)
White UFO
Black DHH
muddertrucker

Post by muddertrucker »

They certainly dont look much different.
Gallery!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
muddertrucker wrote:They certainly dont look much different.

:? are you high?
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
zz3gmc

Post by zz3gmc »

Here's a white DHH on my girls 07 KX250
I like the DHH myself.
Heres a green one on my old 03 KX
I have a black one also but have no good pics of it on the bike.
NewMexico505

Post by NewMexico505 »

This thread is confusing - is it how great the lights look or how great the lights work? Seems to be how great they look- which is worthless when in the dark. Are the lights a fashion statement?

Which ones do a better job in the dark? Which ones enable you to see better?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

>|<>QBB<
bcdonyo wrote:>|<>QBB<
I have run both the DHH twin and the UFO and prefer the UFO. The Acerbis is bright, but has no cover over the bulbs and the light shines back into your face.

The UFO I have came with two crappy 20 watt flood bulbs on one of my Huskys. It sucked untill I put in some 37 watt Osram spot bulbs. I plan to run it on my KDX when I get my high output coil.
Miss this?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
gregp

Post by gregp »

I had a UFO on my Husky 410. Light output and pattern was poor, compared to my stock KDX headlight. I burnt out quite a few of the 35w halogen bulbs. I also had trouble with the small porceline connectors falling apart. I ended up epoxying one of the right to the bulb.
IMO - Nothing beats the stock KDX/KLX unit, unless you get a 55-60w off of a DRZ400S (or some other street legal dual sport bike), along with a coil to power it.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
zz3gmc

Post by zz3gmc »

My girlfriend and I went for a night ride last saturday night, it was pretty mild here in NJ. She has a 03 KX with an Eline lighting coil and a DHH with 2 50 watt bulbs. One bulb is a flood pattern and one a spot. I had my DRZ400S with a stock DRZ dirt version headlight and a 55/60 bulb. Her Eline DHH was much brighter. With the 100 watt Eline coil and 50 watt bulbs, it was far brighter than a stock KDX light. With a rewound coil on a KDX, the DHH or UFO with 50w bulbs would work well.
gregp

Post by gregp »

Interesting. Like I said, mine just kept falling apart, and the rate of bulb failures kept me working on the headlight much more often than I should have. I also went to 50w bulbs on my Husky, but they seemed to fail faster than the 35w's.
I have a good friend with a UFO on his KTM520 MXC who is currently experiencing the same problems.
It is possible that on newer models they have corrected the connector problem. I have not looked at a new one lately, nor have I looked closely at the Acerbis DHH.
The stock unit just seems more stout and better built. The bulb is an issue, though. The last time I tried to get one through my dealership, they wanted $37.95! I got one from Bikebandit for $7.00. The halogens for the dual light setups (35 or 50w) can be found at Wal-Mart.
I do not know if there is a 50w replacement for the stock bulb, it seems to be a proprietary design to KDX's and KLX's. If there is, it might melt the lens.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
zz3gmc

Post by zz3gmc »

The bulbs are available at any Home Depot, Walmart etc.
zz3gmc

Post by zz3gmc »

We had problems with connectors also, I tried something differant and made up my own connectors and it has worked well. The chinsy Acerbis connectors are pretty poor! I gotta go to work but Ill explain what I did for connectors when I get home.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Never had a problem with the connections on mine (knock on wood)

That light has seen a hard life too :wink:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
johnyblaze
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by johnyblaze »

Can either of these (DHH or twins) be wired so as to satisfy the hi/low beam headlight requirement here in Maine? Just thinking ahead to the minimal street legal kit I'll be working up later in the season.
1998 KDX220 with goodies
2002 KTM LC4E
2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Post by bcdonyo »

>|<>QBB<
johnyblaze wrote:Can either of these (DHH or twins) be wired so as to satisfy the hi/low beam headlight requirement here in Maine? Just thinking ahead to the minimal street legal kit I'll be working up later in the season.
When I sold my YZ426(with an e-line coil and a DHH) to my buddy, he re-wired the light so one bulb lit up when the bike was started and the second went on with the "high beam". It wasn't street legal so I don't know why he did it, but I imagine you could do the same and use a higher watt bulb for the high beam.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Note: 'The Acerbis is bright, but has no cover over the bulbs and the light shines back into your face.

Try that in the dark.

Re: '...the rate of bulb failures kept me working on the headlight much more often than I should have.'

Not all bulbs that fit are the same. Bulbs I've gotten from a local elecric/plumbing supply didn't work 'fer squat, bulbs from Steahly work just fine.

I put a spot of RTV on the bulb connectors just for good measure. My shell has been pretty much beat to hell..and it's held up.

Wire for 'bright'? Certainly you could wire of 'different'..whether two at a time would be considered legally 'bright' over just one lit is another matter.

Vehicle 'brights' illuminate from a different angle than 'low' beams. What does your state require? I have no idea.

A coil on a KX that ran two 50W bulbs? At what RPM? DC or AC? I'd like to see that setup.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Hmm, I buy a my bulbs at the local Grover Hardware store
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
zz3gmc

Post by zz3gmc »

The coil is an Eline lighting coil. It has 2 100w leeds. Im only using one right now. I was thinking of hooking up the second one for more lights. I also have a YZ426 with an Eline and a 02 YZ250 with the Eline coil. It dims a little when the revs are down but when we ride the tight stuff, the revs are always up, so light output is not an issue. We had a problem with the light bleeding back also. My girlfriend covered the back of each bulb with tin foil and it helped quite a bit. I think it even projected the wasted light forward and made them brighter!
As far as the connectors go, I got rid of the cheesy Acerbis plug thing and used 4 female spade terminals, the ones with the curled over ends, and crimped one end over so it fit the pins on the bulbs tightly. I have not had a problem since. I found out this in a pinch while racing an enduro that required my lights to work. I kept fussing with the Acerbis connectors and couldnt get them to work reliably. The spade terminals fit over the pins, so I cut the wires off and crimped on the new terminals. They worked great and have been very reliable. If I can find a small round terminal, Id swith to that. Anybody know of any?