Got questions? We got answers....
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

What would you do?

Post by skipro3 »

I've got the opportunity to buy a new bike. Check it out here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... egory=6749
He is local so I can just drive over to get it. He will sell to me for $4850. Anyone think this is a good deal.
P.S. I will keep the KDX I have now, so don't worry.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

If you have the cash to buy it, then you should at the very least go and take a serious look at it. From your riding stories, I know you could appreciate a more spirited bike.

The back tire does not have nipples on the center knobs, so it looks to me like he at least rode it down the street.

When you go over there, try to remember that the lever in front of your left hand is called a clutch lever. :-)
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I would buy it and donate it to the guy running this site! Yeah... that's a great idea! :roll:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
gwhII

Post by gwhII »

I'd look at it. The KTMs have too many good parts -- USD forks, Excel rims, Gnarly pipe (I think), Renthal, etc, standard. From everything I've been able to read, the 250 would be more my choice than the 300. I'm wanting an MXC myself so that I can also have the option of taking one on an MX track. You then would also have a backup bike for when one of us, er, someone were to come and visit. :-)

Best,
Greg
'03 KDX200 -Mine
'03 CRF230 - Daughter's
'03 XR100R - Son's
'02 CBR600F4i - Street
'63 Seagrave 531B, '42 Seagrave Aerial
gwhII

Post by gwhII »

Indawoods wrote:I would buy it and donate it to the guy running this site! Yeah... that's a great idea! :roll:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I could've sworn I saw someone named "Rethnal" on that other site say something like, "...yeah I had one of those orange things but it wasn't for me so I got one of these green things and I like it so much better..." but I could've been drinking then. :grin:

-G
'03 KDX200 -Mine
'03 CRF230 - Daughter's
'03 XR100R - Son's
'02 CBR600F4i - Street
'63 Seagrave 531B, '42 Seagrave Aerial
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Well... yeah but I could sell it and get two more KDX's! Se... I'm always thinking! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

I LOVED Indawoods 98 250EXC. If he'd have waited a few more months for me to come up w/ some cash I'd still be riding it today! Crap happens though!! :)
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
carney

Post by carney »

Arrrgh. I have to admit, I sat on a bunch of new bikes today, and those orange ones fit nicely. Excellent brake feel too, very positive - you can tell exactly when the pads are hitting the rotors. Couldn't fault you for buying one... Too spendy for me right now though, I'll keep rockin the old school KDX. :smile:
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Update time. Give it up. Where stand ye?
dave04kdx
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by dave04kdx »

My brother and I are riding this weekend. A guy with a 300 exc is going to come along. Maybe I can trade him for a bit and I can give you my 2 cents worth.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I hear the 300's are a perfect woods bike.. lot's of low end and more controllable than the 250's.... Definitely give us a report!

well... that is.... almost as good as a KDX... :shock:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Jason: While I am sure it is an exellent buy for that price, I'm still not sure that the beans could't be put to better use. So that is what I am weighing now. Like my dad always told me: " You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want. Make wise choices."

Dave: Thanks! I'll be looking for a ride report. Hope you get to give it a try.

I really appreicate everyone's input so far. I value it all.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Roland C

Post by Roland C »

I've never ridden a KTM, so I really don't have much to base this on. That said, it seems to me that the 200EXC and the 300EXC would both be good choices. What I'm not sure about is the 250EXC. I've heard the 250 is a little lacking in low-end grunt. Not sure if that's true. I heard the 250 was similar to the 200 down low, so I'm not sure why someone would want to spend the extra $$ to get the 250. I think retail on the 300 is only a hundred or so more than the 250. Then again, that ebay baby is well under retail. Tough call! Let us know what you decide.
'02 KDX200
'00 TTR125L
'02 SV650S
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

******Originally posted by Jasonwho...******

Post by Indawoods »

Another thing to consider when comparing the KDX to another bike is to compare a bike designed to meet a $4,000 price point vs. a bike designed to meet a $6,000 price point. One can not buy a $4,000 bike, put $2,000 worth of parts bought at quantity one pricing, then compare it to a $6,000 price point bike. I have seen many people fail to realize this when comparing a KDX to a european bike (Gas Gas, KTM, etc.). Unless you buy $2,000 worth of parts at quantity 10,000 pricing, then it is just not the same. Heck, even a Honda CRF230F is $3,499 now. :-(
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

To be exact, it would have been a $3,999 MSRP compared to a $6,248 MSRP for 2004 KDX200 compared to 2004 KTM 250EXC.

I'd love to hear from some Kawasaki engineers and accountants on what a $5,000 MSRP KDX200 or $6,000 MSRP KDX200 would be like.

Also, my short answer above does not take into account when a part that was already paid for, is replaced with another part (pipe, reed cage, etc.). A person has bought two, but the bike in comparison only uses one, so the total cost of parts is higher, but the cost of the OEM part on the shelf is not taken into consideration (real cost, not the $10 you can get for a stock pipe or reed cage on eBay) :-).

Now, back to the original point. It would be a great deal at that price. I think skipro3 could put it to good use, whereas I am already tired before I even crank the bike. :-)
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

O.K. Enough talk about KTM. After today's enduro, (read results under the DFIII thread later tonight or tomorrow) I see no advantage to owning one over my KDX. Briefly, I somehow lucked out and got on minute 24 with the A riders. I stayed within sight of them all day except the last check where some traffic slowed me down. They finished 1 point less than me. (Points are bad in an enduro. I finished with less than 10 points. (8 I think). One guy, an A senior (my age) had the 2004 KTM 250 EXC 2-stroke I've been looking at. One guy had a yamaha and the third guy had a 2005 KTM 450 EXC 4 stroke. All day we were spaced about 20 yards apart. I felt good after the race too.
Dinners ready. I'll write more later.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

WOW. Sounds great. Go fast and save money. BRILLIANT