KDX 125 Hybrid

Got questions? We got answers....
hockeyboysomers

KDX 125 Hybrid

Post by hockeyboysomers »

I thought I would post here in the general Q&A section because it might be more interesting than the usual Hybrid comments. Over the past winter I decided to build a KDX/KX hybrid. I wanted a bike that would be better suited to the Hare Scrambles that I run. With the help of a friend we put together a 2004 KDX 220 engine/2003 KX 125 framed bike. The results were great. The new bike was almost 30 lbs. lighter. It was also easier to get fancy accessories such as footpegs, cam throttle, graphics ect. I'm very happy with the results, but that is not why I'm writing this post. I was going to sell off the remaining parts of the KDX frame and the KX125 engine but decided to put my spare time to good use. I put the KX125 engine in the KDX frame! I have to say that the KDX125 hybrid is an absolute blast to ride. The engines were only 10 pounds different but the 125 hybrid seems so much lighter than the KDX220 it started as. In almost every area the 125 motor seemed to improve the handling of the bike. The little 125 does an OK job at pulling down low(not as good as the 220) Mid-range is about the same as the 220. The fun really starts when you get into the higher rpm's. The burst of power at the top is so sudden, it almost takes your breath away. When I am in 4th gear it's hard to keep the front wheel on the ground when the bike comes on the pipe. In the air the bike also feels more nimble, The 220 always seemed kind of unhappy in the air, and landed with a thud. The short kickstarter on the 125 engine requires only the slightest dab to fire it up. If I'm on the right side of my bike I often start the 125 with my left foot because it starts so easy, I rarely try that on my 220. I"m surprised to find that I look forward to riding my little KDX125 hybrid so much. I'm happy with the results. It didn't cost anything and now I have a second bike to ride. I hope everyone enjoys my story, I just wanted to share it with other KDXRIDERS. Thanks, Dave
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

Post some pictures of both!
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

That is pretty cool.

I pulled the whole front end off of a '96 KX125 for my KDX. I then put the KDX front end on the KX125.
The KX 125 with a KDX front end was downright scary it handled so poorly.

What you guys did is the ultimate in recycling, huh?
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I love bastardized bikes.... I built a YZ/IT when I was 16.... it was a great woods bike.... when the seat would stay on.... :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
hockeyboysomers

How is the KDX125 any more bastardized than the standard KDX hybrid? Someone had to try the KDX motor to KX frame first. I think it might have been Jeff Fredette. In regards to the handling problems of the KDX forks, I had already swapped a set of 2001 KX forks onto my original KDX frame. They made quite a difference. I guess that is also bastardized. I've never posted pictures before, if I can figure out how to do it, I will. Thanks, Dave
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I don't think anyone said it was more bastardized. Just not the norm.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
gregp

Post by gregp »

Quite a while back, I can remember an article on a KX80 motor in a KX or KDX frame. This may have been Jeff Fredette as well. That must have been a fun ride!
Just a short while ago, someone on NEDB had for sale a CR125 frame with a KDX200 engine in it. I never saw it, but it sounded excellent!
I love 125's, but as soon as you need low end (slow, gnarly, technical uphill), you really appreciate the KDX's power delivery.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

There have been a few CR125 / KDX hybrids documented in the hybrid section here. Nice stuff....
kdp

KDX 125 Hybrid

Post by kdp »

hockeyboysomers wrote:I thought I would post here in the general Q&A section because it might be more interesting than the usual Hybrid comments. Over the past winter I decided to build a KDX/KX hybrid. I wanted a bike that would be better suited to the Hare Scrambles that I run. With the help of a friend we put together a 2004 KDX 220 engine/2003 KX 125 framed bike. The results were great. The new bike was almost 30 lbs. lighter. It was also easier to get fancy accessories such as footpegs, cam throttle, graphics ect. I'm very happy with the results, but that is not why I'm writing this post. I was going to sell off the remaining parts of the KDX frame and the KX125 engine but decided to put my spare time to good use. I put the KX125 engine in the KDX frame! I have to say that the KDX125 hybrid is an absolute blast to ride. The engines were only 10 pounds different but the 125 hybrid seems so much lighter than the KDX220 it started as. In almost every area the 125 motor seemed to improve the handling of the bike. The little 125 does an OK job at pulling down low(not as good as the 220) Mid-range is about the same as the 220. The fun really starts when you get into the higher rpm's. The burst of power at the top is so sudden, it almost takes your breath away. When I am in 4th gear it's hard to keep the front wheel on the ground when the bike comes on the pipe. In the air the bike also feels more nimble, The 220 always seemed kind of unhappy in the air, and landed with a thud. The short kickstarter on the 125 engine requires only the slightest dab to fire it up. If I'm on the right side of my bike I often start the 125 with my left foot because it starts so easy, I rarely try that on my 220. I"m surprised to find that I look forward to riding my little KDX125 hybrid so much. I'm happy with the results. It didn't cost anything and now I have a second bike to ride. I hope everyone enjoys my story, I just wanted to share it with other KDXRIDERS. Thanks, Dave

hey i was wondering what years on the bikes and did you have to fabricate engine mounts? any helps appreciated
hockeyboysomers

KDX 125 Hybrid

I no longer have the bike, I sold it for $1000.00 2-3 years ago. It was a 2003 KX125 motor in a 2004 KDX 125 frame. If i recall, I did have to weld in a couple of new motor mounts. I might have just had to elongate the holes on the front middle motor mounts, it was along time ago. It had a lighting coil in it, it was registered. I even rode it in a winter Snow Run Enduro. I got 3rd place! Only because there was no one else in the class. (ha ha) It was a really fun bike. I think it made me a better rider because I had to shift quicker and be more aware of the powerband and rpm range. I had to ride it more aggressively or It would fall out of the powerband and go no where. I only sold it because I had too many bikes at the time(6). I would recommend this hybrid as a viable way to dispose of your left over parts.
kdp

Re: KDX 125 Hybrid

Post by kdp »

thanks I just bought a kdx and the engine is trash so im looking at options
miikka_m

KDX 125 Hybrid

Post by miikka_m »

Hello!
(Sorry for the language, I am from Finland)
I have KDX 125 -91 Frame with modified forks and stuff. If someone is interested go to see.
I have:
-91 KDX motor
-91 KDX Cylinder and
-91 KX Cylinder
-Mikuni 34mm Carb

I havent got the engine working propelly ever. There is always some Air leak and Havent got the carb adjusted fine.

So I would need new engine, but in finland we dont have much old KAWASAKI parts so do you know wich engine fit easyly in the KDX 125 Frame. (AND I WANT POWER TOO)
(Found one 250 KX -81 engine, would that bi too big :grin:)