Got questions? We got answers....
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Who's a fatty?

Post by skipro3 »

I won this auction on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

It's a FMF Gold Series Fatty pipe.(as seen in the photo) My question; I have a woods pipe -35. Is this the same as the desert pipe -30 or something totally different? What is good or bad about the Fatty? Someone please tell me what the heck I bought. Image
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Is there a #30 or 35 stamped on one of the tabs?

Inda may be able to speak to this...He has some sort of limited production FMF pipe...
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

-30 is 14" circumference, -35 is 11". They are both Gold Series so it seems like the Fatty you have is the same as the -30 without the nickel plating.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
John Cena

Post by John Cena »

Fatty Gold Series pipe broadens the powerband and provides a healthy power increase everywhere. Improved throttle response, a linear powerband and enhanced over-rev all add up to a pipe that everyone will benefit from. The Fatty pipe is our most popular pipe for that same reason. If you’re riding trails, tracks or in the open desert, this pipe has what you’re looking for.

The FMF Gnarly pipe focuses on increasing the lower RPM horsepower and torque to get you out of the toughest terrain. When looking to add 4-stroke tractor like torque to your 2-stroke and you need a pipe to withstand the harsh elements, this is the pipe for you.

The FMF Rev pipe focuses its power delivery in the middle and upper rpms of the powerband. If you’re running out of power up top, want more time between shifts and do a lot of deep berm or sand riding, the FMF Rev is your pipe of choice

:supz: :rolleyes:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Mine is a -30... but doesn't exist in FMF or anyone elses eyes. A true prototype pipe. It is a rev pipe but I have to send it to ELINE to get a pipe guard made since they have nothing that fits it. They act like I'm crazy and I want to prove them wrong....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

JC is correct. The fatty series of pipes were around before the gnarly and before the burly. Its an all around improvement pipe. Mo power everywhere basically. The original burly pipes were the "fatty pipes" with a thicker steel.

Just a few years ago it was hard to find specialized rpm pipes. Aftermarkets pipes were "improvement over stock" pipes.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Thanks guys!
I haven't received it yet, but when I do, I'll clean it up, fix the small dents and the carbon fiber guard, then try it out. If it isn't any improvement over the woods pipe I have now, I'll post it up for sale.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

My friend's 220 had a 'gold fatty' just like that on it. I never really knew where the things was supposed to make it's power, but it made it everywhere. Could never find numbers on it. That motor would pull 3rd gear from a dead stop, wheelie in the midrange, and overrev quite far.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
mattR

Post by mattR »

I have that pipe on my 97 220. It looks about the same minus the small dents. The finish didn't hold up well under an aluminum pipe guard. Finally took the guard off and now I keep the pipe clean and spray it with WD40 after washing. So far so good without the guard on (fingers crosed).

Sorry I can't compare performance because it was on the bike when I got it. Supposed to be the pipe to have for a 220 so that is good enough for me. :supz:
97 KDX 220
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Sounds great! I can't wait to give it a go.
Jerry