wide footpegs on eBay

Got questions? We got answers....
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

wide footpegs on eBay

Post by ihatefalling »

If you're thinking about getting some of those "cheapo" wide footpegs off of eBay, here's what you'll get.

I think Carver had shared.....you WILL have to torque on the factory springs to make them fit. I couldn't get the fit perfect, but close enough.

2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
Fork Swap - 99 KX125 Valved for B woods plush
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
bronco95tgp

Re: wide footpegs on eBay

Post by bronco95tgp »

>|<>QBB<
ihatefalling wrote:If you're thinking about getting some of those "cheapo" wide footpegs off of eBay, here's what you'll get.

I think Carver had shared.....you WILL have to torque on the factory springs to make them fit. I couldn't get the fit perfect, but close enough.
how well do the pegs fold up with the spring torqued down like that?

I crashed a couple weeks ago.. tried to jump away from the bike but a tree stoped me and the bike fell on my leg.. the foot peg folded up on my ankle. Thankfully my peg folded up and I had on decent riding boots but it still hurt
its a '04 KDX 220 cadillac
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I need some for my '90. What years of KDX were these for?
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Check this thread out,

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... light=pegs

I put 2002 KX 250 pegs on my '89 KDX. I'll PM Inda and see if he can send me the pics to update the thread so everything looks right.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Re: wide footpegs on eBay

Post by ihatefalling »

>|<>QBB<
bronco95tgp wrote:>|<>QBB<
ihatefalling wrote:If you're thinking about getting some of those "cheapo" wide footpegs off of eBay, here's what you'll get.

how well do the pegs fold up with the spring torqued down like that?
They really don't fold up that well. They do, but there is resistance and seems like they don't quite go up all the way. The problem is, the hole in the footpeg that holds the spring is a straight hole about a half an inch long. SO you have to straighten the part of the spring that goes into the peg.

Where the OEM footpeg's hole is really shallow hole that allows the spring to go all the way through and then curve, so it holds it it place.

Make sense?
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

>|<>QBB<
m0rie wrote:Check this thread out,

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... light=pegs

I put 2002 KX 250 pegs on my '89 KDX. I'll PM Inda and see if he can send me the pics to update the thread so everything looks right.
Thank you and I would really love to see those pics!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'how well do the pegs fold up with the spring torqued down like that?'

Maybe I'm missing the obvious..but 'torqued down' doesn't apply.

The tang that fits into the peg needs some fussin' with. There is no additional spring pressure applied nowhere via a different tang placement on either end.

I can guess that 'torque with' meant 'fuss with'?

Re: 'The problem is, the hole in the footpeg that holds the spring is a straight hole about a half an inch long. SO you have to straighten the part of the spring that goes into the peg.'

'Where the OEM footpeg's hole is really shallow hole that allows the spring to go all the way through and then curve, so it holds it it place.'

Yep.

There are riders that reported them folding like noodles when they got smacked. I've snagged mine on rocks more'n a few times..hit hard enough to make my teeth hurt once..they didn't bend.

I didn't measure the angle of movement between the two (OEM and the 3-row). It's not like the 3-row pegs don't bend. They do. Not 90º for sure..but I don't think the OEM pegs did either.

Mine do sit a bit dog-eared due to pin and frame-boss wear..but they've done fine.

IMO and all...but I specifically did NOT want an aggressive tooth like, say, the IMS pegs. I didn't them them tearing my my legs in a crash for one..and didn't want to damage my boots to that extent, either.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
bronco95tgp

Post by bronco95tgp »

Thanks for clearing that up canyncarvr.

I still have not replaced my pegs.. The way I read this post seemed like there was more pressure compressing the actual spring when ihatefalling said 'torque on the factory springs'
its a '04 KDX 220 cadillac
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

>|<>QBB<
bronco95tgp wrote:Thanks for clearing that up canyncarvr.

I still have not replaced my pegs.. The way I read this post seemed like there was more pressure compressing the actual spring when ihatefalling said 'torque on the factory springs'
yeah.....torque meant "put them in a vise, bang them with a hammer, straighten out two of the factory angles, fine tune for 10 minutes"
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I checked mine. They do fold freely up to the point the peg touches the frame. Again...that may be earlier with the pegs being wider as opposed to the OEM pegs..but they do move as they are supposed to.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
grumpyman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by grumpyman »

i've got those same pegs and run into the same probs with the curve in the spring. i wound up drilling up from below at an angle to allow the spring to hook in like it does on the oems. there seems to be enough thickness there to not weaken the peg this way
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

>|<>QBB<
grumpyman wrote:i've got those same pegs and run into the same probs with the curve in the spring. i wound up drilling up from below at an angle to allow the spring to hook in like it does on the oems. there seems to be enough thickness there to not weaken the peg this way
i probably should have tried that....heading out for singletrack tomorrow....cant wait!!! :supz:
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

These are the Fastway F5's on my 220.
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr