kx 250 rims on kdx ?

Got questions? We got answers....
riggy

kx 250 rims on kdx ?

Post by riggy »

anyone know if a 01 KX250 rear wheel will fit a 97 kdx ? It is a 19 inch rim my kdx is a 18 . no idea on width and axle size though , just curious .
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Just wondering why you want a 19" rim on a trail bike. Most guys go the other way putting an 18" on MX bikes they converted for trail use. Also, from my experience Kawy rims are some of the weaker standard ones put on the jap bikes. If going to the trouble of changing to a 19", you might want to get something stronger.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
riggy

Post by riggy »

I was just curious if they would fit ! I had no idea people went to a 18 for the trails either thanks ! makes perfect sense though a 18 will turn up rpm a lot faster than a 19 would .
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

well, really it has a lot to do with having more tire sidewall to avoid pinched tubes and dinged rims on the harsher terrain you get in trails. The MX tires have a much lower sidewall profile. I really hated mounting those things on my kid's YZ. Getting the rimlock in place could be a bitch.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Mike is exactly right. If you set an 18 and 19" tire of the same make side by side, they are the same overall height. The 18" has a higher sidewall though. Better for helping to soak up bumps and hits without damaging the rim. MX's want the 19" because the slimmer sidewall has less flex.
riggy

Post by riggy »

OHH ! never thought of the difference in sidewalls at all . intresting info thanks guys .
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

And the selection of tires is far greater with an 18"
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
gregp

Post by gregp »

Although some of the manufacturers are beginning to offer MX tire styles in 19" only, such as the Michelin Starcross tires.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)