Can someone help me out with a part #?

Got questions? We got answers....
knowledge seeker

Can someone help me out with a part #?

Post by knowledge seeker »

Looked in the "Jet & needles" section and also in other web sites but couldn't find a 1173 needle to order. Is that its right part #? or does the 1173 translate to a CEL or some other letter #?. Thanks in advanced.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

It does convert. Need the number following your 1173 though. My 89 uses an r1173n. I think other models use r1173k?

the part number for the KAWASAKI part is 16009A at service honda. Actually, a-d for optional parts. The A may have been stock though. Again, need the trailing letter to be sure.

assuming r1173k the KEHIEN part would be BFP
r1173n would be BGP

Maybe this will help

http://www.carbparts.com/keihin/needles_tuning/pj.htm

What year is your bike? You may want to consider a different needle from stock all together. 95+ users seem happy with CEK/DEK or CEL/DEL. From what I can see those needles will be much too rich on my E series bike though.
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

I understand the concept but I looked at that chart and I had trouble making the conversion work. It looks like there might be a typo or I just don't get it.
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Hrm. It'd be sorta hard for me to use any description more complete and plain than in the chart I linked. I'm not sure what you don't understand?

There are 3 measurements to the single taper needle. Kawasaki puts them in a different order than Keihin does.

Kawi |11|73|N| > |taper|Diameter|L1|

Keihin |B|G|P| (same needle) > |taper|L1|Diameter|

Notice the difference in order???
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

That makes way more sense now, thanks.
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I would just get a CEL or DEL for it.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I agree with Inda, assuming the bike is a 95 or newer 200. I been playin with some charts, and CGL/CGK are looking like they'd help the fat/lean/fat issues I have with the 1173N in my 89.
saddletramp
Supporting Member

Post by saddletramp »

I got my 1173 needle from FRP. I just put my CEL in the other day, got that from Mr. Black.
2000 KDX 200 97 KX 125 Front End
1996 CR 250
03 RM 65 2000 YZ 80
knowledge seeker

Post by knowledge seeker »

Thanks a lot for your replies!!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

:hmm: I read this and don't find some answers..and not some answers.

Yes, you need the whole number to find a cross, '1173' is not the whole number.

But..not all numbers cross, neither. Some Kaw needles are proprietary. You can order a Keihin needle for an 'R1174N' (BGQ), but you cannot order a Keihin needle for an R1173L ('97 on 220). You have to interpolate some numbers to get close.

Knowing what the OEM needle is may help in choosing where to go from there..but you need a pretty good handle on what needles do and how they work to get there.

JDs jetting guide (spreadsheet) helps a good bit.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

But..not all numbers cross, neither. Some Kaw needles are proprietary. You can order a Keihin needle for an 'R1174N' (BGQ), but you cannot order a Keihin needle for an R1173L ('97 on 220). You have to interpolate some numbers to get close.
Very good point. The Kawi needles are made for Kawi, and there will not always be a keihin equivalent. However, there will pretty much always be something close. It's obviously much easier to determine what "close" is when you know what the measurements are for the needle you're holding and the needles you're looking at.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Or you could just go with what is recommended here... we have been up and down the needle road for years on the KDX and I think we have it narrowed down pretty good.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Or you could just go with what is recommended here... we have been up and down the needle road for years on the KDX and I think we have it narrowed down pretty good.
Yep.

I just answered his questions. I don't know why he asked, but he did.

I didn't even go on forever about magic numbers, straights (L1s) not being at all straight, why a lesser taper is richer lower than is a steeper taper...none'a that.

I guess I could have said, 'Let google by your fren!' :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!