What the best tire for me?

Got questions? We got answers....
KDX220rser

What the best tire for me?

Post by KDX220rser »

Hey guy. Ok so I was running a bit smaller tire than stock ( 90) and I bent my back rim. I am wondering what's the best tire/tire size for me. I ride in mid Louisiana. So tight woods and some atv trails. There are some mud holes and sand. But mostly solid dirt. One big thing is roots!! I have popped a tire already too. Not slimmy wet roots, hard big roots! And lots of them. I need a very tough tire. Any help?
09 KTM 250 XC-W
2005 KX-DX Hybrid
03 Ozark (under construction)
1978 Honda NC50 (under construction)
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

My choice, Maxxis IT. It seems to work pretty good in just about any terrain I run in to and is definately a "tough" tire.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDX220rser

Post by KDX220rser »

ok thanks ss. What size do u recommend? Stock 100? Are bigger? I blame the 90 I have on there for the bent rim. It just seems to skinny
09 KTM 250 XC-W
2005 KX-DX Hybrid
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The stock rims bend..running an '80' or a '90'. Run it at 15psi (too high!)...they'll still bend.

A '90' is smaller than stock..but you won't find a lot of commonly used tires that come in a 100/100 size. Besides..two differently branded tires with the same numbers on the side will likely NOT be the same size.

I'm saying: The OEM rim getting bent is not an indication of running the wrong tire.

What you need is a Michelin tube-type radial trials tire @ 8psi. :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

They look kinda dorky but it sure hooks up

Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
KDX220rser

Post by KDX220rser »

But what about in mud and sand? There are a few mud holes and a bit of sand where I ride
09 KTM 250 XC-W
2005 KX-DX Hybrid
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I haven't ridden it in sand. Others that have say: It works better'n a knobby', and, 'It's not as good as a knobby'.

So..there you have THAT decided for 'ya.

In deep mud (over the tire mud) it's reportedly not up to a knobby. Dunno 'bout that either. I had it some clay/mud last weekend and it worked every bit as well as last time I had a knobby in that situation.

..which is to say..neither tire worked for diddle.

Sorry. You can't have it all. You will not find the traction of a 756 with the wear of a VE33.

From my last four rides on the Michelin, I'm sold. Yep...that's a biased personal point of view. I've gone through 2-3 tires a year for the past ten years..the Michelin is the best..hands down.

Will it be as wonderful for you?

I have no idea.

The Michelin cost me about $7 more than the tire I would usually get (M5B). If I'd gotten the tubeless variety (at about 2X the tube-type cost) I might have thought a little slower about it.

You've got nothing to lose. You will either find the tire to suit you just fine, in which case you will hve learned something. Or, you will find it's NOT just fine..in which case you will have learned something.

Do as you wish. You asked a question, I answered it. IMO and all that.

Cheers!

Consider the source

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

What's your braking like with that thing?

It seems to have a lot of grip going up hill but I wonder what it does going down

I love the M5B for that. It takes a lot to slow my extra momentum :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Hard to say on the braking part. Riding conditions have been lousy for braking in general, but the trials tire has done OK. What it would do in dry/crumbly conditions..don't know about that.

One thing it DOESN'T do real well is brake-steer. With a knobby..lean into a turn, hit the brakes to skid the back end around to line up in the direction you want to go..fine. The trials tends more to brake in the direction of travel and NOT let the back slip 'around'.

Still, nothing that isn't more than compensated for in other areas.

It's not like the S12 I had..hit the brakes..skid the back tire...speed up!

Consider the source

tbirdsp

Post by tbirdsp »

I haven't used a trials tire - yet. I have seen guys with them and they do hook up well.
I've had good luck with the Dunlop D952. I've used them on my KLX250S for some time now. I have one on the front of the KDX, still running a crappy 4.10-18 Cheng Shin C755 on the back though. I'll replace it with a 952 soon. Not sure if I will run a 110/90 or a 120/90 on the KDX. I have a 120 on the KLX and it works great on that bike but looks huge compared to the 4.10 tire on the KDX now. I think putting a huge heavy tire on a bike is not always the best idea, both from an engine/gearing standpoint and a suspension standpoint (more unsprung weight for the shock to deal with isn't good).
Mike S.
'98 KDX200
'07 KLX250S
'06 KLR650
'93 ST1100
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

K, they pretty much suck for braking on any kind of loose downhill surface. For just about EVERYTHING else, they kick a knobby's ass. Fine by me because I barely use the back brake on a downhill unless i'm trying to lock it up.
bronco95tgp

Post by bronco95tgp »

I have heard that these trials tires outlast a standard nobby tire by quite a few hours also. Sidewall flex is also supposed to be superior to anything going, may be why its hard to slide around? They do look sissy but one or two more rides on my Maxxis IT and I'm getting a trials.
its a '04 KDX 220 cadillac
bronco95tgp

Post by bronco95tgp »

Oh and Wibbens nothing about your bike looks sissy. Especially having those forks and a green frame.
its a '04 KDX 220 cadillac
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

A trials tire sounds great for the terrain I ride in but I can't use one. See, I do some pretty high speed stuff (up to 55mph) and some pavement so no trials tire for me.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I've run 70 on pavement with my MT43 and noticed no ill effects. It's a DOT approved tire, and does fine at speed on pavement so long as you run a reasonable amount of pressure. I'll use 10lbs if I know I'm going to be screaming down the roads at all. Wear is a lot better than a knobby on pavement.
KDX220rser

Post by KDX220rser »

I got the Maxxis IT. Its Huge!! but it grabs pretty good. It does great with the roots, but not that great in mub or sand. but i like it. I would buy it again. Thanks everyone!!
09 KTM 250 XC-W
2005 KX-DX Hybrid